New
Find
Notify
Tools

One more time...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If all goes according to plan, come dark of the moon next April (2012)I will be returning to RSA for ten days in camp.

Eland is the big ticket item, along with a Zebra and some of the smaller antelope.

I Emailed my PH from 2010 earlier today, and he has the dates open for me.

Woo-Hoo!!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rich. You will now have something to pass the time over the long Idaho Winter season. Anticapation is almost as good as the hunt itself in a lot of instances.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Travel arrangements by the dedicated Kathi Klime. I will get out of here on Monday, April 16th, and arrive in Jo-Berg the evening of the next day. Ten days in camp and fly out Saturday, April 28th, arriving home on Sunday evening.

The updated "Bucket List" reads: Eland, Zebra, Impala, Blesbok, Warthog, and jackal and porcupine if the schedule permits. Reon is checking for me now about a Leopard permit.

This is going to be a l-o-n-g winter. Is it SHOT Show and SCI time yet?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Rich, porcupine trophies I looked at with the taxidermist Andre Van Rooyen in Joburg are very nice. But it is not an easy animal to prepare before delivery to the taxidermist. According to von Rouyen the best way is to freeze it upon killing, without any cleaning or skinning, and leave it frozen until delivered to him to do all defrosting, skinning, cleaning, etc or it will be impossible to guarantee that the quills won't fall off.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink. I always wondered myself. Here in Idaho we just "Swat" them with an empty burlap sheep's wool bag and sort of roll them up. I have a one-time Lady friend who does quill work with them.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich, that's so exciting to have a hunt on the books.
Eland is at the top of my PG list, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
While you may be going with a different taxidermist, here's a link to Andre van Rooyen's site, with the advice about freezing small mammals whole asap after taking them.

http://www.avrtaxidermy.co.za/...st_smallmammals.html

When I went to his shop (2007?)he had a room full of porcupines being prepared, looked like a herd, and they were very well done indeed. I think he considers himself the best porcupine stuffer in South Africa. He also does well with everything else. Under way was a full wall display of African birds being done for Peter Flack, so he has a few demanding clients.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

thanks