THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    be careful with spare scope in checked bags!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

be careful with spare scope in checked bags!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned from Zim. On the way over all bags minus one lock and my Z6 swarovski scope arrived. Someone, who knows who cut TSA lock off and stole the scope. I usually have it in my gun case but this trip it did not fit.Sad, people can't leave other peoples stuff alone!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have carried it on. Sorry to hear about that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me in Joberg. Grrrrrr. Sorry to hear about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sucks! I usually put extra's like that in my rifle case. If my rifles don't make it, I don't need the extra scope anyway. Sorry

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not have room in my gun case and airlines will not let you carry on. Next time it will be in gun case or stay home

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they recently cleared up the confusion about scopes in carry-ons, and you can bring them on board.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why the Tuff Pak is so cool. Always room for an extra scope and lots of other stuff you don't want stolen. That's where mine will be in 11 days on the way to Moz.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you go here: https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-i...earms-and-ammunition

you'll see about 1/2 way or down the page:

Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find that refers to TSA regulations ONLY (and ONLY departing the US) and that it does not refer to the Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act which is the international legislation but putting that aside, most check in agents don't know the rules anyway and the real answer is if it won't fit in the rifle case, buy a bigger one so it will or take fewer rifles....... No-one is ever going to NEED a scope in their carry on baggage so why put it in there?

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Wow, I dodged a bullet last year, I guess, with a new Leupold in the box 3x-9. Went through screenings, Customs, TSA, no one mentioned the "no scopes in carry on luggage" thing. I didn't take my own firearms so couldn't put it in a rifle case, I was transporting the scope for a friend to give as a gift to to a PH.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
If you go here: https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-i...earms-and-ammunition

you'll see about 1/2 way or down the page:

Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

Nice to see that on their website.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That sucks!

I travel with one simple rule: If I don't mind it being stolen, it goes in checked bags.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote