THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    An extra day in Amsterdam...problem?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An extra day in Amsterdam...problem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For reasons I won't go into because it's a long story, I am going to find myself in AMS arriving from Kilimanjaro with no guaranteed seat back to the states. I'll have three rifles with me. Will there be a problem laying over in Amsterdam for a day or two waiting on a seat to the states? Anyone know the story on what the customs people will have to say about the guns?

This situation has really gotten screwed up and I'm bearing the brunt of others' mistakes. I'll deal with it, but could use some educated advice.

Thanks.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
For reasons I won't go into because it's a long story, I am going to find myself in AMS arriving from Kilimanjaro with no guaranteed seat back to the states. I'll have three rifles with me. Will there be a problem laying over in Amsterdam for a day or two waiting on a seat to the states? Anyone know the story on what the customs people will have to say about the guns?

This situation has really gotten screwed up and I'm bearing the brunt of others' mistakes. I'll deal with it, but could use some educated advice.

Thanks.

A day or two "lay-over" in Amsterdam?
I reckon there's quite a few whom I know certainly wouldn't mind jumping

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check it out, Fulvio...I am looking forward to doing a day or two in AMS, particularly after an 11 hour coach center-seat ballbuster from Kili. The question I have is what will be the story on bringing three guns with me on a permit that was issued for another flight? I called the Dutch, but it seems that they're closed on Sunday. I'll just wait until tomorrow and maybe I can get some answers out of them. Just trying to get a leg up on the situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check it out, Fulvio...I am looking forward to doing a day or two in AMS, particularly after an 11 hour coach center-seat ballbuster from Kili. The question I have is what will be the story on bringing three guns with me on a permit that was issued for another flight? I called the Dutch, but it seems that they're closed on Sunday. I'll just wait until tomorrow and maybe I can get some answers out of them. Just trying to get a leg up on the situation.

JD,
I'll make some inquiries on the firearms issue with KLM/DAR first thing in the morning.
I wouldn't let it worry you too much as you still have the hunt days in which this will get sorted out.

What if the firearms continue their journey to the US on the same flight? You may not have a seat
but the cargo hold will still be able to accommodate the guns and you will find them waiting for you.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:
What if the firearms continue their journey to the US on the same flight? You may not have a seat
but the cargo hold will still be able to accommodate the guns and you will find them waiting for you.

The airlines are forbidden by law to allow any checked bags to travel before the passenger. They could however be sent by cargo but that would need additional paperwork.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've found through another source. Coming from the States, at least, if you want to layover in AMS you can do so for max 72 hours. You check your bags to AMS.

Then you hit the baggage service desk and ask for the duty manager. He will make the arrangements to store the firearms and ammo. Ammo has to be separate.

Then, when you check in for your outbound leg, your guns will be loaded for your destination. I would imagine it works the same way coming out, also. I'm going to check with Gracy tomorrow. They should know.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Driver:

Just take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Stuff happens, as you know, but you have been in about every airport and country in the darn world. You have "fixed" problems that were unsolvable in 20 languages. This, too, will pass.

You are going to have a great safari and kill a 44" buffalo and we both will kill a big buck in South Carolian in October.... and drink some good whiskey (or, at least, I will.. and smoke some good cigars, too.)

Trust me. I know about these things. It is all because you are are a southpaw. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's what I've found through another source. Coming from the States, at least, if you want to layover in AMS you can do so for max 72 hours. You check your bags to AMS.

Then you hit the baggage service desk and ask for the duty manager. He will make the arrangements to store the firearms and ammo. Ammo has to be separate.

Then, when you check in for your outbound leg, your guns will be loaded for your destination. I would imagine it works the same way coming out, also. I'm going to check with Gracy tomorrow. They should know.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

"Then you hit the baggage service desk and ask for the duty manager. He will make the arrangements to store the firearms and ammo. Ammo has to be separate".

Now that makes sense! I have done so in the past (though I didn't have ammo) and it worked just fine, in fact I left the guns
in airport secure storage for almost 3 weeks. (It wasn't Amsterdam though Frowner )

As the Judge said: "Take a couple of deep breaths and relax"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jetdrvr,

Call me.
I can help

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JudgeG:
Driver:

Just take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Stuff happens, as you know, but you have been in about every airport and country in the darn world. You have "fixed" problems that were unsolvable in 20 languages. This, too, will pass.

You are going to have a great safari and kill a 44" buffalo and we both will kill a big buck in South Carolian in October.... and drink some good whiskey (or, at least, I will.. and smoke some good cigars, too.)

Trust me. I know about these things. It is all because you are are a southpaw. Big Grin[/QUOTE

Yes.

You have no idea what has happened during the last 72 hours. I guess I'll die of alzheimers, because if I was going to have a heart attack, it would have happened already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it you have your transit forms all filled out properly? If so, you should be ok if you follow the procedure that Kibokol outlined above. They will hold the Guns and Ammo for you. The ammo has to be in a separate bag and some have said it has to be by itself, although they let me put it in another bag with "stuff" that I left with the baggage folks. When you finally get to the airport to leave, they will call down from the check in desk and have the guns and ammo bag checked directly on to your flight. BTW, while in Amsterdam....enjoy. For a great Italian meal, try Casa di David. It is fantastic.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. And I'll try to check out Casa di David. I appreciate everyone's input.

It's all worked out. Leaving the 18th for Kili, one night at Mt. Meru and up to the crater rim for three days, then out to camp, where the serious work begins. Wish you were going, Judge. I'd like that .450 backing up my little .375 when we prowl the buffalo of Kitiangare. Kibo, who knows them personally, has impressed me with their potential for creating havoc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Jetdrvr,

Call me.
I can help

Thanks, Kathi. I found some documentation from my last TZ hunt and it spelled it out.

"If all else fails, read the instructions." Wink