THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    United Airlines grrrrrrrrrr!--- they will no longer transport antlers or horns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Airlines grrrrrrrrrr!--- they will no longer transport antlers or horns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Antlers & animal horns
"United Airlines does not accept antlers or animal horns as checked or carry-on baggage on any flights."

The above is a direct quote off of the United Airlines baggage policy that has just been released. Does not really pose an issue to African travel but if you are going to AK or Canada -- you will have to find an alternate method to bring Bullwinkle's antlers home. This is simply another case of an airline picking on the hunting traveler. SCI seems to be working on this but maybe a few letters to the idiots at United would be appropriate!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is a case of UAL picking on hunters. Almost all airlines, including Alaska, stopped allowing antlers as checked baggage years ago. You can ship them air cargo; that is what I did. Or just mail them. Bullwinkle's antlers are normally too heavy to check anyway.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Well -------- not necessarily true -- I have shipped two sets of Bullwinkle headware and both were over 65" --- United has been transporting antlers till just very recently.

Just recieved the attached -- very good and to the point: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite...cles/airlinemadness/

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have flown with Moose Antlers-51" on AK, 2 sets elk on American, and a set of elk on Delta in the past 15 months. American charges me $150, Delta, $100 and AK $50...

Another reason not to fly United as far as I am concerned...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I arrived at my home airport Monday night via United. As I was picking up my gun case in baggage claim, I met a group of five gentlemen who were also picking up their cases, so I asked them how they did. They responded that they had been in Canada for 10 days and had a very successful hunt. Unfortunately, they got the United Airlines surprise about not shipping antlers when they arrived for departure at the Canadian airport. They basically had to ship all of their antlers at the very last minute via some bus company. They had very little faith they'd ever see their trophies again. They were all very upset and rightly so.

As for me, I just had one of those "gut feelings" that it wasn't a good idea to bring mine along and opted to leave them with my dad to drive down later this month. Thank God!

Fuck United. I will never fly them again.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say this but it makes some sense to me. I assume that you would also be pissed if the antlers arrived broken?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I hate to say this but it makes some sense to me. I assume that you would also be pissed if the antlers arrived broken?
Peter.

Yes, I'd be pissed if my antlers arrived broken, but then again I'd be pissed if my rifle, bow, fishing rod or golf clubs (if I golfed) arrived broken. So what's your point?

Here is another case of the bunny huggers and politically correct making life difficult for the traveling hunter. Wasn't it not long ago that one of the airlines began charging additional for gun cases and bow cases but didn't for golf clubs?

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting...I tried to check antlers in Kotz back in 2000 and was told they were no longer "checkable." Maybe AK changed their policy.

NW stopped allowing them sometime in the 90s. Be interesting to see what happens with respect to the Delta buyout.

But shipping them air cargo is probably cheaper than checking them. You can also use UPS; I have sent two elk racks from Idaho the past few years and it isn't that expensive. I did split the skulls, but that isn't a big deal to me anyway.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used United/SAA for my trip to Moz in September. Applied for a frequent flyer card months before leaving as SAA is a Star Alliance partner so all miles would count. WRONG. I have received two "mileage statements" from United to date and have "0" miles. Looked up their website for a telephone number to check into the matter, and can you believe their site does not have a single "phone number" listed for contacting them. I will never fly United again, period.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This antler thing isn't new it first went into effect over 7 years ago I just don't think it's been enforced for the most part. And the issue isn't about anti hunting it's about damage claims from antlers that aren't properly cleaned before shipping. People tend to get a bit pissed when they get home and their baggage is soaked in blood. And antlers have a bad habit of ripping bags in the hold because they weren't properly prepared for shipping IE the tips padded and taped as was required. Basically this about a few lazy hunters who won't follow the rules ruining it for the rest of us.

I looked into this when it first went into effect. It's all about irresponsible folks who don't take the time to properly flesh out their skulls and skull caps or bother to follow the rules about properly padding the tips. It was simply costing the airlines to much in damage claims to haul antlers around.

I've seen this come and go several times with most airlines.

As far as frequent flier miles I had the same issue with SAA before they were a star alliance partner. It is maddening not be able to talk to somebody though isn't it!@!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've no idea what condition the trophies are in when shipped. but FWIW, most of the domestic airlines in the UK banned antlers etc many years ago because hunters were checking in fresh/uncleaned trophies, and the blood that leaked out of their wrapping in the aircraft holds, not only caused a hell of stink but also caused corrosion problems when it dripped through the seams of the aircraft holds. BAC 1-11s and Trident 3s were especially susceptable to this.

If it's the same over there. it could well be an engineering issue rather than an anti hunting one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Re United Miles, as I recall it may take a few months for the UA /SAA miles to catch up with you. Though it should surely be by the end of the year. Maybe see this page from the Mileage Plus web site?

I do not have my card with me but previous cards did have a Member reservation number on the back - they can send you to the right people I think.

If you had the membership in advance and you saved all your boarding passes you should be OK.

Correction: After I wrote that I checked my last few statements and my July 5/6 flights showed up on my July Statement, and the July 21/22 flights were on the August Statements!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having just returned from MT flying UAL.....they suck. No one knows their ass from their elbow re baggage policy. Not having the luxury of someone dropping me off, I had to leave my gun case home or risk being charged $175 each way. Is the limit of 62 linear inches real or bullshit? Since EVERY SINGLE PERSON working the UAL counter in Boston was hispanic and ONLY the manager spoke english.....I couldn't get an answer on gun cases. And over the phone?....forget it!

If at all possible, I won't fly UAL again.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I flew UAL with a rifle, it didn't arrive. I was told at baggage claim that the total baggage weight for that plane was too high and my bag was off loaded. Turns out that it only took removing my rifle case to get the plane back into proper weight and balance. All other bags on the plane arrived. Draw your own conclusions.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
They breakguitars too.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I'd be pissed if my antlers arrived broken, but then again I'd be pissed if my rifle, bow, fishing rod or golf clubs (if I golfed) arrived broken. So what's your point?

Here is another case of the bunny huggers and politically correct making life difficult for the traveling hunter.

Shof, my point has already been made above. How does one pack antlers so as to reduce the risk of breakage? Guns, guitars etc. can be packed in a box. As to bunny huggers etc. does it not cross your mind that this could very well be just a business decision? Why does everything have to be the result of a vast left wing conspiracy?!! Please also note the comments about ill prepared antlers.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just today United Airlines is reversing their policy on carrying antlers and horns. New requirements on cleaning and size restrictions will be forthcoming shortly. United said the response by their hunting customers to the issue is why they are changing back.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote