THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Robberies Leaving Tambo Airport?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robberies Leaving Tambo Airport?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the first I've heard of this.
Surfing through the State Dept. Web Site and came across this alert for O.R. Tambo Airport. Robberies of Shuttle & Buses transporting passengers from O.R. Tambo Airport.
You are robbed on the way or when you arrive at your Hotel or Guest House.
Will be taking a Shuttle to Africa Sky In May.
Does anyone have any information on this?

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like public transportation is where they are making their hits.
Just contact African Sky & have them pick you up & deliver you back to the airport.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I would just book Africa Sky sportsman package. They pick you up, drop you off, do gun permits, feed you. etc. Works out slick.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
As long as you are using one of the local guest houses and their shuttle, you should be OK. Africa sky / Afton house have their own in house shuttles, never use a local taxi.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I would just book Africa Sky sportsman package. They pick you up, drop you off, do gun permits, feed you. etc. Works out slick.

McKay gives you good advice

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
No big surprise. I have been in capital cities and large cities of almost every South and East African huntable country except a big city in Mozambique. Joberg is the only one that really gives me the creeps.

Dar, Lusaka, Bulawayo, Harare, Nairobi, Maun, Windhoek. Always cautious but never overly concerned. Can't say the same about driving around Joberg.

Posts: 6258 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stay at the birchwood right near tambo and have never had a problem. They run a shuttle every 30 minutes or so and have a very nice and secure operation.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
No big surprise. I have been in capital cities and large cities of almost every South and East African huntable country except a big city in Mozambique. Joberg is the only one that really gives me the creeps.

Dar, Lusaka, Bulawayo, Harare, Nairobi, Maun, Windhoek. Always cautious but never overly concerned. Can't say the same about driving around Joberg.

Isn't Joberg rated as one of the most dangerous cities in the world?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Maybe outside of an active war zone, wouldn't shock me one bit if it was.

Posts: 6258 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good advice. We are staying one night at Africa Sky on May 24 on our way to Namibia. I booked last September for their "Meet & Greet" and to take care of my SAPS 520
On our way back it was advised just stay in the airport until our flight leaves.
Thanks again
MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hotel shuttle's have been targeted, security has been tightened and drivers are aware of the problem.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This could very easily be stopped.

Replace all shuttle drivers with armed drivers with order to shoot anytime they get an attempted hijack.

End of story.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67341 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO COMMENT!!! Im sick and tired of the crime in this country. Anyone wanting to donate a 'Chicago Typewriter' I have a good home for it! Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:

Anyone wanting to donate a 'Chicago Typewriter' I have a good home for it! Big Grin
yuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote