New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Days and Counting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 50 days time my big adventure begins where I leave Dubbo on the 9th August and return on the 22nd of August.

I thought that it was a timely figure (50) as it has been 50 years since I first wanted to hunt Africa but due to the normal work, marriage, family etc it had been put off, but now at age 65 years and again single and with my health not being as good as I would have hoped I made the decision to make it now before it was to late as one would hate to wake up dead one morning and say ‘Why didn’t I do it before’

I am going with CT Safaris, Chris Troskie for a 10 day Plains Game hunt in the Eastern Cape and Kwa Zulu Natal Provinces which have proved successful with other forum members in the past.

The normal game species is on the ‘Wanted’ list, Impala, Zebra, Gemsbok, Bushbuck, Kudu, Waterbuck, Common Springbok, Black Springbok and one never know what else will take my fancy when I see it.

I originally was going to take a Warthog but of recent the Australian ‘A.Q.I.S.’ (Quarantine) is only accepting completed trophies so I will have to give that some serious thought before I do shoot one.

I intend to have the ‘Skins’ soft tanned and the ‘Skulls’ in the European Skull Mount style of course the Zebra skin will be felt backed.

I am intending to use Umlindi Taxidermy of Tarkastad unless I hear of something to the contrary.

The packing has started so that the weight restriction can be mostly adhered to with a little excess baggage but being the one and only trip to Africa that I will make
(unless I win the lottery) a few extra dollars is the least on my mind at the moment.

The paperwork is almost complete ( Just waiting on the Customs paperwork, they only post it to you within 28 days of leaving) my only concern is the 14 odd hour plane trip as I am like a ‘Jack in the Box’ with pain so that will be interesting.

So I will sign off for now and post a report when I return,

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

. tu2

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Posts: 59 | Location: DUBBO NSW AUSTRALIA | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck you are going to have a great adventure

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a good hunt, the 2 areas you will be hunting are very nice.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ragsxd
posted Hide Post
good luck on your hunt

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt. What sort of weaponry will you be taking with you?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, it is appreciated.

Eyedoc, I will be taking two Custom CZ550's one in 30.06 with the other in .375H&H so that will more than cover my needs.

I'm now down to just over 5 weeks and the time is really flying but I have most things sorted out with just a couple of things to do but it needs to be in the last 28 days due to silly regulations.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Posts: 59 | Location: DUBBO NSW AUSTRALIA | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With Quote