Notify
Tools

South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted
Hello All,this is my first post here.

My first safari, ( & dream of my life) is planned for August of 2009. I will be hunting with Steyn Carical for impalla, kudu, gemsbock, baboon, jackal, & lion. Taking my .22-250 for the baboons & jackals. My .338 WM for the plains antelope, & my .416 Rigby for the lion.

Please post any helpful hints...thought I have been "lurking" waiting for my approvoial on this site.

Best regards,

Karamojo Bill

Yes, I am a pirate, 200 years too late....

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
double check the 22/250 & make sure its legal

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill

You might more reaction on this if you post it on the African Big Game Hunting forum......

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find the baboon surprisingly hard to kill, especially with the .22-250, unless you are good with head shots. But headshots messes up the skull if you're thinking of doing European mounts.

My own preference would be the 6.5x55 or the 7x57 or the 7.62x51, all of which you could also use for the light to medium plains game. Or, why not just use the .338 WinMag for all plains game and baboon and jackal?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

They use a .222 with a suppressor for warthogs there...I will check but I can't imagine it would be illegal

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karamojo Bill:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

They use a .222 with a suppressor for warthogs there...I will check but I can't imagine it would be illegal
Yes, best to check! You may find differences in what the locals can get away with compared to someone else.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote