New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel through Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning a trip to Zimbabwe. I have a chance to fly business class through Munich to Johannesburg. Has anyone done this flight? Were there any hassles getting through Munich with firearms? I know I will need to buy a separate ticket for the Joberg to Harare flight. Should I get a South African gun permit? The return flight will be through Dulles instead of Germany.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should not have any problem transiting through the Munich airport with rifles. Double check with your carrier and TSA for current issues regarding traveling with firearms. Give yourself at least 4 hours transiting through Jo-burg. You will have to obtain the RSA gun permit. Not a big deal, best to do it before hand. You can download the appropriate form from SCI web page or from the Hunting Report. If you are going to lay over in Jo-burg for a day (i recommend) stay at the Afton House.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always fly via Frankfurt or Munich for South Africa and/or Zimbabwe. Acutally I prefer Munich. It is German efficiancy and no nonsens. I do not think you need an extra ticket for your flight JHB/HRE, this leg can be incorporated in your (overall) ticket with no problems. Whether your are overnightning or not, you will, however have to declare your weapon(s) in Johannesburg, it is therefore of sound advice to have ample time (like the 4 hours suggested)if you are transiting direct. You may consider engaging a meet and greet company to help you clear your weapons.
I wish you a wonderful trip.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the UK is the only European country which enforces the arms embargo on Zimbabwe in terms of traveling sportsmen. I do not believe that you'll need a separate ticket to Zim, just get it all on one ticket. I also don't believe there will be any issues in Munich transit with your firearms, as long as you have reported your firearms to your carrier prior to departure - a phone call normally does the trick. In Jhb, there should be no need to pass through SA Customs, as (with a single ticket) you'll be in transit to Zim (Harare, or where ever). So there should be no need for a SA permit.

One issue that you *might* run into, is that it seems to become more and more common for carriers operating in Europe to charge additional fees for traveling with firearms. I don't know what carrier you'll be on from Munich to Jhb, but Lufthansa and several other carriers do implement such a charge. What I don't know, if you'll be subject to such a charge, if your flights originate outside Europe, and you transit onto a Lufthansa flight, say. Just don't get too pissed off should this happen. The charges are a complete rip-off of traveling sportsmen, but I have yet to figure out a way to avoid them...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The firearms embargo to Zim is (in theory at least) Europe wide, so it's better the have a separate set of tickets from Jo'burg to Zim if you can. There's considerably less chance that the Germans will enforce the ban than the Brits for example but better to be safe than sorry.

These might help:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...l-with-firearms.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...ort-regulations.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHO is correct as far as additional charges being implemented when carrying weapons on European airlines such as KLM (via Amsterdam), BA (via London), LH (via Munich/Frankfurt, AF (via Paris) and the list continues. In my experience it isn't every time you're hit with extra charges - but you may be. If you're flying SAA (South African Airlines) out of said European airports, they won't charge anything. Not yet, anyway.

The airline must know in advance that you will be carrying weapons.

Holland was the first country to introduce the arms embargo on Zimbabwe.
Not long after all European Union countries implemented it.

Thinking Zurich (Switzerland is not a member of the EU) was the way to go with weapons to Zimbabwe, I was quickly disappointed. It may work if your point of origin is a Swiss airport, but not if you travel from Copenhagen, as I do.

You have to, no matter how you slice it, declare your baggage/weapons in Johannesburg if your final destination is Zimbabwe. It does not matter whether you have an extra ticket JHB/HRE, because as you check in at the start of your journey, your final destination will then be JHB. Even if you show an additional ticket, they won't check you through and you will still nedd to declare at Jo'burg.

I suggest your airline ticket incorporates the whole trip, because on your return the Zimbabweans will check your weapons/baggage through (no embargo from here)to the final destination. No problem here, unless you carry two sets of tickets.

So, the authorities do not care whether you are going to Zimbabwe with weapons, they just cannot check you through from Europe as per law.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will be getting a second ticket for the last leg. I have an extra day so I might stay overnight in Johannesburg then travel up to Harare.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to get professional help like Gracy Travel or another outfit that specializes in African travel. Saves you lots of headaches.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Steve "Shakari" Robinson is correct in that the ban is an EU ban so in effect Germany should be following the rule too. Both BA and KL will not accept the firearms for carriage if the final destination is Zimbabwe.

I always recommend you have two separate tickets and reservations when traveling via and EU country to Zimbabwe which means you must clear South African immigration and customs in Johannesburg and go back to check-in for the onward flight to Zimbabwe.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend just confirmed that he also checked his gun only to Jhb when travelling through Munich. In Jhb, then re-check rifle to Zim. In that case, you will need an SA import permit.

When I went to Zim last, I think I flew directly from Zurich, and I know I checked gun through to Zim directly. But that could also have changed - who is to know these days...

So,,, live and learn, I guess...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote