THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel with Firearms Through Washington, DC

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel with Firearms Through Washington, DC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I'm seeking a Delta Business Class ticket to be purchased with Sky Miles and it appears that the only way to go would be through Washington, DC (Dulles) to Paris, France & thence to Johannesburg. It's also possible I would be getting off the Delta flight and going to another counter to check in my baggage again.

My concern is with the rifle and handgun I would be traveling with as I don't particularly wish to be arrested. Has anyone done this recently and not gotten thrown in the pokey?

I have been through Dulles before but the guns on that occasion were checked straight through so there was no problem.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dulles is very gun friendly. It is the airport I kfly out of all the time, I have never had an issue. I have never done what you are speaking of, but the customs and tea folks are always gun friendly.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The story I read about was someone trying to check into an airline ticket counter and, when he told them he was traveling with firearms, was arrested for said possession.

When I went through Dulles on my last trip I had no problem either but then my baggage had been checked on though and I wasn't doing a checkin with another airline.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked my TuffPac with rifle from Durango, Co to J'burg, and on to Lusaka last October. I changed planes in Denver and also at Washington Dulles. Same thing coming back.

Going, the TuffPac went straight thru to J'burg. Coming back, I had to claim the TuffPac and recheck to Durango at Dulles. The folks at Dulles were not a problem at all. I was tenth in line and had everything checked at customs. The customs officer joked about being the first one checked off the plane. He was very interested with my hunting in Africa. He really looked over my rifle, wishing he had one like that.

Zero problems for me. Just declare your firearms like you are supposed to, you should have no problems.

As others have stated before, run off a copy of the airlines and TSA rules to have in hand in case you run into someone who does not know the rules.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I had no problem going through there last year. On the way out I checked it stright through from Atlanta but on the way back I had to collect my gun in Dulles and no one cared as I toted my gun case through the terminal looking for an earlier flight back to Atlanta. Customs didn't even care to look at my 4457, which is the first time that has happened.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I maybe wrong, but aren't pistols a big No No in some of the South African countries?

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser K98:
I maybe wrong, but aren't pistols a big No No in some of the South African countries?

Pistols, as long as they're the type meant for hunting, are not a problem in South Africa also known as RSA or the Republic of South Africa, as long as you have the proper permit which is as easy to obtain as for a long gun. There are other countries in "Southern Africa" in which handguns aren't permitted.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Dulles is in VA....not DC

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Dulles is in VA....not DC

Thank-you VERY much. That makes me feel a lot better. I had looked up Dulles on the internet and it gave a Washington, DC address which must be the address of the airport authority it's under. I looked in another place and, it is as you said, in VA.