Find
Notify
Tools

Technoframes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Anyone have any experience with these as their locking ammo carrier for airline use?

http://www.technoframes.com/en/ammo_storage.php

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with those. Pretty cool, a little pricey. Should work for a lockable container.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some airlines require that the bullets be in their original packaging, so you might run into trouble there...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

My consideration would be that you need that special key. If TSA needs to look in the box which has been my most recent experience you would need to be there when they did it. If you just use something like a Pelican case you can put a TSA lock on it and the TSA folks can do whatever they want without you being around as they have a key that universally fits all TSA locks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered what would happen if I showed up with the ammo in an MTM caseguard, inside a lockable box that meets their approval. The ammo IS in the original manufacturer's container. I handload everything I take. I have always saved some cardboard ammo boxes for the calibers and used them but..........

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will- Cabelas has a new aluminum ammo carrier designed for factory ammo boxes. Looks to be a fairly decent product with a piano style hinge and padlock style hasps for the lid.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pagosawingnut,

I've got the same question about boxes for handloaded ammo. I asked that in a seperate topic on this forum and some members said that they've had no trouble at all with Frankford plastic ammo boxes. MTM boxes are very similar to these.

I've also heard that as long as the rounds are in a "seperated" box so that they cant hit against each other and that the primers are protected it would be sufficient.

Posts: 11 | Location: MO | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I taped the key to the outside of the locked ammo box to keep the inspections monkeys from breaking the box, would that be bad form?

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no TSA requirement that cartridges be in factory boxes. The regulations says something like " paper or plastic container that keeps the cartridges separated". Go to the TSA site for the full deal. I have used MTm or similar boxes for years. I make my own ammo labels that look reasonably professional and glue to the boxes. Never had a problem.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just ordered 2 of the technoframe cases,they are a bit pricey but seem nice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my ammo boxes,they are very nice and sturdy....but they are rather large and heavy weighting just about 2.75 lbs each

One of Us
posted Hide Post
weight is the enemy. You do not get to take the ammunition out of the carry container to meet the weight limit.

Some airlines use a 55lb weight limit on each bag. You just used 10% of that number.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote