THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Knives in bags through Amsterdam?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives in bags through Amsterdam?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone transit through Amsterdam with Folding Knives in checked bags recently? Did they take them out of bag?

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a problem in '08, but I've heard it is now. There is a post to that effect by Neil Summers (Bow Hunting Safaris Consultants) on Bowsite.com. Might want to check that out. Let us know if you find out anything.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
Went through Amsterdam with three folding knives in June and returned one month late in July; no problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are knives a problem in checked bags ???

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took 15 of them in '08 through Schipohl. No problem in checked bag.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
quote:

The rumor is that Dutch law prohibits folding knives even in checked luggage in transit. And supposedly the authorities are so anti-hunting that they are removing them from checked luggage and confiscating them. I have also heard that mechanical broadheads are illegal and are also confiscated from checked bags passing through Amsterdam.

I suspect the truth is that the Dutch authorities have "bad apples" just like authorities in any country have them, and there have likely been some isolated incidents where these things have occurred. Then the internet rumor machine cranks up and it becomes "fact" that it is an epidemic.

I hate to contribute to it by perpetuating the rumors, and maybe someone on the forum has some actual hard fact. Certainly the experiences of lavaca, wtnut and Dutch44 don't support the rumors.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
I took 15 of them in '08 through Schipohl. No problem in checked bag.

Dutch

I took 3 through coming and going in April 2010...no problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through Schipohl many times and never had any problems. I have always tucked my knives away in my locked ammo box.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffNut:
quote:

The rumor is that Dutch law prohibits folding knives even in checked luggage in transit. And supposedly the authorities are so anti-hunting that they are removing them from checked luggage and confiscating them. I have also heard that mechanical broadheads are illegal and are also confiscated from checked bags passing through Amsterdam.

I suspect the truth is that the Dutch authorities have "bad apples" just like authorities in any country have them, and there have likely been some isolated incidents where these things have occurred. Then the internet rumor machine cranks up and it becomes "fact" that it is an epidemic.

I hate to contribute to it by perpetuating the rumors, and maybe someone on the forum has some actual hard fact. Certainly the experiences of lavaca, wtnut and Dutch44 don't support the rumors.

Thanks

With all the other security going on, how they have time to worry about a few folding knives
in the checked baggage.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote