New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow Sight in Carry On?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be flying to South Africa next week with a Trijicon bow sight in factory case. No bow or other archery gear, just the bowsight and clothing. This should be ok to put in checked baggage, but it is the kind of thing that turns up missing sometimes. Will I have any trouble if I put it in carry on with my binos and camera?

I have read the airline regulations about archery gear but most pertain to bows, arrows and the like. I have not found a specific reference to bow sights alone. Will I have trouble with this unit in carry on?

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will not have a problem with the sight. take all valuables in carry on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should not have a problem with a bow sight in your carry on, but you are dealing with the TSA and African Customs so who really knows?

If possible I would try and have some sort of evidence that it is for a bow and not a firearm just in case. The fact you have a part for a bow and no bow could create some suspicion in some idiots mind. Good luck and all said most likely will go without a hitch.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might run into some trouble or red tape as it could appear that you were taking it into the country as a gift, inasmuch as you don't have a bow to go with it..

Such apparantly happened to Ross Seyfried some years back with some reloading tools as he intended to reload his ammo in Africa as he was shooting a cull or varmint hunt..I dont' recall how it all ended but someone told me that the Africans confiscated the stuff..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote