THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Explosive Trace Detection Machines?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosive Trace Detection Machines?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found the following information in an on-line story about enhanced TSA procedures:

"The use of "swabs," or Explosive Trace Detection machines, has been expanded in recent weeks. Security agents are now more frequently roaming boarding areas and security lines with portable machines, which can detect traces of explosives after a cotton swab is applied to hands or luggage."

Has anyone had any experience with this? I would think that many of us might have gunpowder residue on our hands or luggage, either when leaving for or returning from a hunting trip.

There was nothing in the story concerning what would happen to someone who had a postive to residue.

Or is there a difference between gunpowder residue and "traces of explosive?"

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
On the return trip from DSC this year we observed this portable machine in action. While we were stuck in Detroit Metro we watched as they (randomly)picked people out of line to test them. We asked the same question about gun powder vs. explosives. Heck there are not many days that i don't have powder residue on my hands. By the end of the line we were getting quite good at guessing who was (randomly) going to get picked.

Posts: 755 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I shot with Rusty and the guys in Houston while I was working there and used my camera during the range session. When I got back to my hotel I put my camera back in my bag and worked a couple more days.

When I got to IAH (G Bush International Airport) to fly home I was randomly selected for swab testing (I had booked a one day ticket the night before. Coincidence?) Anyway, when they swabbed the handles of my bag it set the nitrate detector off and when they inspected inside my camera set it off also. Luckily all I had to do was show them the pictures of me shooting on the range that were in my digital camera and they were satisfied.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12567 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several facilities I work in at a National Lab which require this screening, prior to access. We are using normal fixed IonScan units like TSA, but no portables. My brother-in-law installed and calibrated them for nuclear plants.

As much as I shoot (including blackpowder), and also reload, I have never had a problem. Normal handwashing takes care of any residue. There does seem to be a bit that sticks to plastics.

The one caution I will give is they are somewhat sensitive to lanolin based lotions, and extremely reactive to several of the sports cremes out there. In fact, one has a signature like PET-N, which the airplane bomber tried to mix up in flight. That really would get you more attention than you want!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I had my gun case handle and latches swabbed last fall returning from a plantation quail hunt in south Georgia. THe swab didn't turn up any residue, which I figured would have tested positive. I'd think you would need an awfull lot of residue on your hands to test positive!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was flying to go on a hunt.

I used my daypack as my carry on.
This is my hunting ack and the ack I use to shoot prone and sight my rifles in.

Well it set off the detector.

Several TSA guys came over and one of them said, "We NEED to look in here."

I said go ahead.

Well I had binos, 2 rifle scopes, camera, several flashlights, and some clothes...

They pulled everything out, and one of them said, "I guess this is your hunting backpack".

I said Yes it is.

He said "It tests positive for explosives".

I said, I shoot my rifle off of it all the time at the range.

He says "That is probly IT".

All the while three other fellas are checking the "gear" and the pack itself.

I said, Well I guess I should not use that pack as a carry on again.

The guy, smiled leaned foward, and quietly says, Oh I don't know... Keeps us on our toes, gives us SOMETHING to do.

And, as I am an expert at getting 7 lbs in a 5 lbs bag, he said, "We might better let you repack this".

They were nice, and I thanked them for doing their job.

I do not use that pack as a carry on any more, and I make sure I use a wet wipe on all the handles of my baggage.

Have not set off the detector since.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went through the sniffer two years ago in Dallas. I asked the TSA agent if it would detect powder residue from the gun range and he said yes: so, don't go to the airport directly from shooting.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was swabbed in Billings 5 years ago coming from a Schuetzen shoot in Cody. Did not have any shells in the luggage but probably trace residue from reloading at the bench carried over to gun cases. Had all reloading material shipped back. Searched bags and let us go.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through them several times. I informed them that I reloaded and shot daily have had no delays or problems.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The machine checks for nitrates. I was told farmers frequently set the machine off, from having working with fertilizers recently. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in 2000 I was going to Texas for two separate hunts, desert mulies and a combo whitetail/predator/hog hunt.

I was to fly out of Baltimore but the flight was cancelled and they limoed me to National (DC) where I was swabbed while waiting to go through the metal detector (this was after checking my baggage and rifles). That was the first and only time.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Was on my way back to Idaho from Virgina and the day before we left we shout a thousand or so rounds of skeet and the bag I carried was used to carry ammo, so it had residue all over it. Got to Dulles and the lady at the swabber asked to see my bag, swabbed it and it came up positive. She shook her head and took the piece of material out, put it back in and it came up positive again. Then she looked at me and said, "This thing is always acting up, it's probably all the humidity. Have a good day." My wife and I grabbed our stuff and went to our plane, feeling none too secure in the ignoramuses of the TSA.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
A couple of years ago I shot with Rusty and the guys in Houston while I was working there and used my camera during the range session. When I got back to my hotel I put my camera back in my bag and worked a couple more days.

When I got to IAH (G Bush International Airport) to fly home I was randomly selected for swab testing (I had booked a one day ticket the night before. Coincidence?) Anyway, when they swabbed the handles of my bag it set the nitrate detector off and when they inspected inside my camera set it off also. Luckily all I had to do was show them the pictures of me shooting on the range that were in my digital camera and they were satisfied.

You should have just had them log you onto AR and showed them your avatar, proving with absolute certainty that you're one of the good guys and an upstanding American to boot.

I do so love that blouse! Smiler

On a slightly more serious note I have been both 'swabbed' and put in the 'air machine', which blows puffs of air off your person and analyzes it for traces of explosives/other, shortly after handling and shooting arms. Neither time did they hassle me. Knock on wood.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote