THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Effect of World Cup on South African safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effect of World Cup on South African safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted
With the World Cup being in South Africa in 2010 (late June/Early July) what effect do you think that will have on safaris and travel?

With that said, we were planning our safari for early June 2010 because one of the guys is a school teacher and would be on break. Would you suggest pushing the trip back to August?

Nothing is set in stone as of yet so we are thinking of moving it a little.....

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the world cup is going to f++k up things so bad that i don't want to be anywhere near

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think there will be some added traffic to National Park tourism as many who attend the World Cup will add on a few days to take advantage of already being there. I would guess that in some cases airline travel will be a little tighter, but generally airlines add flights for special occassions like that so it may not really affect seat availability. Overnights in hotels in Joberg will be a problem. Call up your PH and stay at his house.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted this on another thread, but perhaps this one is more appropriate.
South Africa's FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 takes place from 14 June 2009 to 28 June 2009 at Johannesburg's Ellis Park Stadium, Rustenburg's Royal Bafokeng Sports Complex, Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein/Mangaung and Loftus Versfeld Stadium in Tshwane/Pretoria. Ellis Park is set to host the opening game between South Africa and Iraq.

The link below will give you match dates and locations

2009 Confederation Cup

The 2010 World Cup will be held in RSA over dates of June 11 -July 10. The games will be played in Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg, Mangaung/Bloemfontein, Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth, Nelspruit, Polokwane, Rustenburg, Tshwane/Pretoria.

The link below will take you to the match schedule.

2009 Confederation Cup

Posts: 26 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,
Corrected links below:

2009 Confederation Cup

2010 World Cup

Posts: 26 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 09 January 2009 20:33 Hide Post
the world cup is going to f++k up things so bad that i don't want to be anywhere near
Posts: 5157 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004

Time will tell, but I doubt the doubters will be correct. Some careful planning should mean you will have no problem at all.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
heh heh, karoo, Wink
i travel quite extensively by air and the hiccups are interestiong to say the least, and we don't have thousands of people overloading the system and resources. It is going to be extremely interesting over that period. Anyone coming to southern africa around that world cup period should heed karoos suggestions well and ensure timeous and careful planning.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
We plan on being at matches in Cape Town and PE....and since we're already there why not go hunting too. dancing

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I'm with Wink, Karoo and akpls. No reason to stay away during the World Cup, just plan a little more time for entering and leaving Johannesburg. Otherwise, hunters shouldn't be affected at all. I've been to one World Cup when it was in the U.S., and if I get a chance I'll go to another one because it's an awesome international experience. And adding a hunt onto it would be the smart thing to do!

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
I got a group of 32 hunters that have booked accomation and hunting 5 days before and then they will go and watch football for 5 days and then back for 5 days hunting man i must say i am not seeing forward to do any driving to joburg at that time diggin

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote