Find
Notify
Tools

Delta Through Amsterdam
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted
Just read in my E-mail Extra from the Hunting Report that people are reporting lengthy delays in getting transit permits issued for firearms when connecting through Amsterdam on Delta/KLM. Has anyone here experienced this, and if so, have any tips for those of us taking this route this season?

The first time I ever booked travel without using Gracy and now I have to deal with this. . . .

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=654

Warning to Hunters Flying on Delta/KLM
Expect Hassles over Firearm Transit Permits From The Netherlands

(posted March 10, 2014)

Hunters planning to fly Delta/KLM through Amsterdam on a hunting trip should expect long delays in processing their firearm transit permits. The Hunting Report has learned of several hunters experiencing difficulties getting the transit permit issued to them by the Dutch Customs office (Netherlands Tax and Customs Administration). The permit is required to transit through the Netherlands with firearms, even though the bags are never claimed and are merely passed from one aircraft to the next. Continuing subscribers will recall that the Netherlands started this requirement in 2005 (see Article 1530 in our online database). It appears the Dutch Customs office is taking up to two months currently to process and issue the necessary transit permits and then only after continuous follow-up in the weeks prior to hunters' trips.

We learned of this emerging problem when several hunters reported that they had not gotten their permits and were only a week out from their travel dates. They filed the necessary paperwork with Dutch Customs two months in advance, as required, only to receive no word from them. When contacted, Customs officials replied that they had not received the requests for the permits, although fax transmittal reports show that fax transmittals of the documentation were successful. This is a pattern that began developing sometime during the 2013 safari season. The Hunting Report had received several reports late in the season of long delays in processing of permits. One hunter we spoke with said he called every day for a week before anyone would even answer the telephone there! Travel agents we checked with at that time said they were receiving their clients' permits within two weeks of travel. Now hunters say they or their agents must make multiple phone calls the week before their travel dates to receive the transport permit in time.

For the moment, we are issuing a heads-up warning that hunters may face real difficulties with this once the safari season gets under way in East Africa. We recommend that subscribers flying with Delta/KLM through Amsterdam for a summer safari allow at least two months to get their transit permit, and that they be prepared to go back and forth with Dutch Customs up to the last minute. It may be advisable to have a travel agent who specializes in hunt travel to deal with the hassle for you. If problems continue, hunters may want to use a different carrier and route to reach Africa or other hunting destinations serviced by KLM through Amsterdam.

We have attempted to contact Delta (KLM's partner in the US) for their input on this issue but have not yet received a reply. If you plan to use this carrier and route, be certain to ask pointed questions before booking your flight, and make it clear that only airlines and transit hubs friendly to hunters traveling with guns will be getting your business. - Justin Jones, Editorial Assistant

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely recommend a good travel agent with experience in this area. With that, I've never had a problem. It's still rather nerve-racking waiting on the permits.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Kind of sad that this is happening, particularly now that there is a flight from Amsterdam to Harare which avoids SAPS stuff in Johannesburg.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hey Fellas:
I've done this route a few times and it has been a pain. My take on the matter (but unsubstantiated) is anti hunters in the permit office. On my last trip I faxed SIX times to the office for my transit permit and was told with each followup the fax never arrived. Well, it did arrive according to the software of the sending fax. At the time I called a Mr. Trump, perhaps the man in charge, and he said he would look for the fax and I should send it immediately. I did and received the permit that day. I honestly feel jerks in the office were playing with me.
Now, I would fly Delta to SA and go north. SA may be crooked and demand tips, but at least they are firearm friendly.
Just my opinion.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Trump has been there forever; I always deal with him directly and never have any issues. He is a good man.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely used a experienced agent. Annelise with Areva travel has booked me through Amsterdam several times and made arrangements for the dutch consent form. Always came through in plenty of time. Did learn one thing early on and that was to tape a copy of the form to the outside of the gun case.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A FedEx clear envelope works well for that.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my consent form in the clear Fed Ex label last year. That did not stop them from leaving my guns in Amsterdam for an extra day. All the other luggage made it just fine. Needless to say it certainly caused us some problems not the least of which was a lost hunting day. I will avoid Amsterdam from now on.

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
This was a terribly frustrating process. I would never do it again. I flew KLM in June/July 2013. I faxed my permit application through an international faxing company 8 weeks before my trip. It was confirmed by the faxing company. I called the Netherlands that alone was a mess, different phone numbers than the application, no one available, a Dutch message telling you what to push with no type of translation. When I finally got through over three days and many phone attempts, they do not confirm receipt but just issue the permit two weeks before your transfer arrival. I called about a month before departure and was told never received. Repeat process above...I called two weeks before departure... repeat process above. I called the Friday before my Monday departure after talking to the Dutch embassy in Washington for the second time, they called and interpreted for me.
I then convinced them to let me e-mail it (welcome to this century). I had my permit that day. It was the most stressful process in my 4 safaris to Africa. I then locked it in my case as they instructed and carried a copy on me. They never asked for it or opened my case on the way or back. I WILL NEVER fly through the Netherlands again. (Non-stop or Dubai as there process was so efficient)

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a european rifle license, I do not need a transit permit.
However I flew that route recently and my rifle was left (on purpose?) in Amsterdam. Arrived the next day via Nairobi....

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
Dealing with SAPS in JBerg is a walk in tHe park compared to this nonsense!
I have done the JBerg route the last 2 years and it really is quite painless and simple.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote