New
Find
Notify
Tools

watch your carry-ons
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought some souvenirs and gifts from the Zim duty free including an inexpensive necklace and carving.The items never left my shopping bag which I held all the time(except when I was on the plane), right up to the time I was in Johannesberg airport and passed through the metal detector.There,as I passed through, one of the guys there put on a little show and distracted my attention.I suspect that it could have dissapeared here.When I arrived home the necklace and carving were missing.Thinking back,I feel that there is little chance that they could have dissapeared otherwise.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Despicable

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A similar situation happened to a colleague in Cairo, only it was their airline ticket that was taken during a distracted moment. Amazing how fast it appeared when a $20 US appeared. Parts of Africa are rife with theft and scams. Be sure it is not all countries nor all people. I have had many pleasant experiences from Cairo to Cape Town.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Zim duty free shop,the first one on your left as you pass through the scanners has some really nice stuff at very low prices.They had some very nice necklaces that cost about 6 or seven dollars but if you saw them you would think they cost a hundred.They have some nice food plates and coffee mugs too.I bought one with a leopard hand painted on that is beautiful.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote