THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Flight Cost Shock to South Africa During FIFA World Soccer Cup Tournament

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flight Cost Shock to South Africa During FIFA World Soccer Cup Tournament
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
There has been a similar thread in another section, but the enormity of the shock just calls for general warning. Here a link: http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/2781038411

I have used one of the many search for cheap flight services [www.travelstart.com ] to search for flight costs. I used 15 May as daparture date from Atlanta GA and list the quoted $ return flight cost to Johannesburg for different return dates:

29 May 2010 = $ 1607
5 June 2010 = $ 1607
12 June 2010 = $ 1685
19 June 2010 = $ 2035
26 June 2010 = $ 2441

For a departure date on 15 June 2010 and return on 29 June 2010 the cost is quoted as $ 2944.

Please be sure that you consider the additional flight cost if you are offered a very good deal for a hunting safari that requires travel to Johannesburg during the 11 June 2010 to 11 July 2010 period!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They don't miss a trick do they!

Eish! Confused

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not making any excuses for the airlines, but we might consider the enormous amount of money is paid by them to the respective governments for "landing slots"

Governments like to keep this very quiet, and I never realized how much is being charged to them by certain airports.

Heathrow apparently charges $25,000,000 per slot + landing fees!?

No wonder we are being made to pay through the nose, and the airlines are making a loss. Mad

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I was quoted prices for july of 2010 upwards of $3,000.00

Forced to reschedule safari.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We booked a hunt to Namibia in June 2010.
Was told that the soccer turn. would not have as big of an effect on airfare there. WRONG !!!
My daughter is graduating high school the end of may and is to leave for a trade school in july and this was
going to be a graduation gift.
So we had to book for june.
This will be our first trip to Africa for all 3 of us Maybe !
Im not going to pay the $4000.00 each for air.
I knew going in that it would be around the $2300 mark each.
Gracy travel tells me to hang tuff and it will go down because people arent booking the flights at current price.
I Know of 7 people who have canceled thier hunts because of this.
So I might have to figure out something else to do at this point.
Not sure !

DIE WITH MEMORIES NOT DREAMS

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd wondered why Delta wasn't coming down. The Euro carriers I can understand (soccer is "their" game) but who is going to WC from Atlanta?

Now I figure the airlines are probably getting raped by the SA airport authority and having to pass it along.

Some of the prices are clearly marked up by the airlines (look at the online sites that show fare, fees, and taxes all separately) but look at the fees and taxes and you can see WHO is getting the money.

Posts: 42 | Location: The Glorious Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense to my RSA friends but if it were me I would change my plans. I would either change the time frame or find a different destination. The problem with the first choice is this is prime time for hunting southern Africa. I might instead consider Namibia for a first time or even repeat trip. The other choice is to change to different time frame, August and early September are still good.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I took this class in college...it was called econ sumptin...there was this supply and demand thing...but don't really remember too much about it

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
believe me, the absolute last F---ing place you want to be is in the Jo-berg airport during that couple of weeks, even passing thru.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I stated in my previous post ,we booked into Namibia just because of this.
Now come to find out I can book air to south Africa
for a couple thousand less than Namibia.
Before I booked the hunt, I checked air to both places. The diff was about 300 less to go to SA.
So why because of the soccer cup is air more to Namiba ?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Probably the domino effect. Fans look at expensive flights to one destination and then look for cheaper ones to other African destinations and add on internal flights to get to where they want and that in turn puts up the cost of those alternatives.

Also remember there's actually 2 soccer competitions in Africa during the same year. You have the WC in SA and also this: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/n...ry?id=615437&cc=3888

My guess that between the two fans will be flying in anywhere they can (within reason) and taking internal flights from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 law of the wild - milk em for all they're worth whenever given the chance. #1 teacher for the course - governments worldwide

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you try the US to Frankfurt to windhoek route? Bypass RSA!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Did you try the US to Frankfurt to windhoek route? Bypass RSA!

The Air Namibia published fares are not out yet, according to two different travel agents. However, kathi told me that fares will be higher for most of next summer because of the soccer games.

She also told me that the ph should have told us about this when we booked our dates, back in January.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I took this class in college...it was called econ sumptin...there was this supply and demand thing...but don't really remember too much about it[/QUOTE
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike smith-----
Yes Thats the route Gracy travel recommended
to us six month ago. That air last time I checked was a hair over $5000 per person !
Heres the strange part------You can fly through
Jburg SA to Namibia for $2800 per person!
But you have to clear your gun through SA twice,
With an over night stay in Jburg they wont hold your guns.
So if the soccer cup in SA is the problem why can I go right in the middle of it for less money ?
I was also told that the air rates under contract arent out yet,but they also tell me that its 2 months later than normal.
I assume they are trying to figure out just how much they can nail you for ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Artistry- We just did the Frankfurt route through Gracy in June for ~ 2300 from Montana. Did Gracy tell you it would be double? That would be suicide for that route and Air Namibia! And prominent German carrier might jump on it! Good luck!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey crane I havent talked to shawn at Gracy for a little over a week now but it was $3895 Then, but she thinks when the rates come out they will be about what you paid.
When I check online the best I could come up with was $4965

one of us
posted Hide Post
Artistry- FYI, we did the day room at the Sheridan. I was with wife and a 12 and 14 year old. We were pretty tired and skipped the Frankfurt tour. As it worked out we arrived Windhoek in good shape and drove to the coast. Good luck with your tickets.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
What a kick in the pants to the safari industry next season. As if the economy isn't enough.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote