THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Where do you declare your cash with Customs at IAH (Houston Bush)??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you declare your cash with Customs at IAH (Houston Bush)??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We will be leaving next week for family hunt over in Namibia. I will be taking traveler's checks to pay the hunt bill. I found the Fin105 form to complete for transporting cash in excess of $10,000. Can I submit this to customs ahead of time? Or do I have to do this at the airport on the day of travel. If so, where is the customs office located in the Houston airport?

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Customs at the airport is the place. You just need to do it before you leave with the dough.

Can't help you as to the location of the customs office at the Houston airport, although they are generally located in the international terminals at most such places.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If each adult family member carries less than ten grand each and you make the cut, you aren't required to file. That's legal.

But you shouldn't have a problem if you do. Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
If each adult family member carries less than ten grand each and you make the cut, you aren't required to file. That's legal.

But you shouldn't have a problem if you do. Better safe than sorry.

That is not correct according to the instructions of customs instructions I have seen on the plane.

If a family are travelling together, with a total amount more than 10,000 between them, they have to declare it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67309 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a family are travelling together, with a total amount more than 10,000

Thats a problem I will never have to worry about rotflmo

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From the instructions on the back of Fin. Cen. 105:

WHO MUST FILE:
(1) Each person who physically transports, mails, or ships, or causes to be physically transported, mailed, or shipped currency or other monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 at one time from the United States to any place outside the United States or into the United States from any place outside the United States, and...

WHEN AND WHERE TO FILE:
C. Travelers—Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with them shall
file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any Customs port of entry or departure.

Contact the field office at (713) 387-7200 to get the location of the office at IAH.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was no customs officer on duty at Detroit when I departed. I asked one of the drug sniffing dog handlers at the Amsterdam gate where to file and he told me to give it to the ticket agent when boarding. I did and had no problems.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would never consider carrying anything close to that amount of cash. I wire money to the outfitter to cover daily rates, dip and pack, charters, etc. and we square up afterwards on trophy fees if I owe them money or they owe me money. Admittedly I am very comfortable with who I hunt with and so I have no problem wiring them money in advance. The only cash I carry is for tips and incidentals.

Mike

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia is probably the safest place in Africa you can go. Everywhere else now there are pirates lurking for tourists and hunters such as Zambia. Sadly, now that the Locals have taken over the Govts. if you are White in a Black country, you are instantly suspect or guilty untill you prove otherwise. (Very expensive) Don't take a chance, travelers checks are not welcome unless pre-arranged with your PH.
Play it safe and wire the money or use a US booking agent that handles the financial end.
+1 on MJines post.

Have a safe hunt
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote