Find
Notify
Tools

SAA vs. Delta
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted
Which is better as of late? I have flown SAA on my last two trips. In 2001 they were still flying the 747's and that was not bad. In 2004 they had switched to the cattle cars....err Airbus, and I was less than impressed. What have your experiences been lately?

Thanks,

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took SAA and its Airbusses in 2004. Took NorthWest/Delta and its 777s out in late May and back in June. Much more comfortable!!!!

Food was best on the KLM joint leg from Amsterdam to Jo'berg.

Otherwise the recent flights were OK.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vizualize a mechanic, sweat dripping down his cheeks, head deep in the cowling, fine tunng the fuel control for the number two engine.

Then vizualize SAA's mechanic, and Delta's mechanic. Then visualize black empowerment. Vizualize why the Delta mechanic got his job, and why the SAA mechanic got his.

Which would you rather have working on the airplane that you will soon entrust your life to?

Not even a close call for me.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jetdrvr makes a very good point! thumb but even without that, the Boeings win hands down for me........ esp in the light of recent events.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
777's are much more comfortable. Now you can take a Delta non-stop from Atlanta on Delta as well. Then what jetdrvr said, really makes you think- so for me Delta without a doubt.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
esp in the light of recent events.

Shakari

The Airbus A330 has been in Commercial service for 16 years without a hull loss up until the Air France Accident. Plus its operated by some of the bodgiest operators in the world (no names mentioned)...

EVERY aircraft type flying has had its fair share of problems and hull losses - they are only mechanical devices... each has its weaknesses & strengths.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Being from Seattle we agree with the old saying “If it ain’t Boeing I ain’t GOING”! With that out of the way, the route via Delta Atlanta / JNB makes it a very very long stay on one plane, 20 plus hours. I found that it’s nice going via Europe with a stop in London or Amsterdam. That way you can break up the long flight with a chance to pry yourself out of the sardine can they call an airline seat!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
MLG,

I don't disagree with you, but recent events currently have an Airbus deep in the ocean and no answer as to what caused it to get there. Personally, if I have a choice, I'll opt for the Boeing............ at least until they find out quite what caused the incident.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Vizualize a mechanic, sweat dripping down his cheeks, head deep in the cowling, fine tunng the fuel control for the number two engine.

Then vizualize SAA's mechanic, and Delta's mechanic. Then visualize black empowerment. Vizualize why the Delta mechanic got his job, and why the SAA mechanic got his.

Which would you rather have working on the airplane that you will soon entrust your life to?

Not even a close call for me.

Very good point!!

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raghorn52:
...the route via Delta Atlanta / JNB makes it a very very long stay on one plane, 20 plus hours....

Flt 201 JNB to ATL is listed as 16:15 on wikipedia. My ticket for Delta Flt 200/ATL-JNB departs at 805P local and arrives 510P local the next day. That's not quite 20 is it?
Frankly, I hate airports lots more than flying. I'd rather do a lengthy direct run than lay over for too short a time to get a hotel or go anywhere and too long of a time to sit comfortably in an airport lounge. It's also less opportunity for loss/theft/damage for luggage. But that's just me.
ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always felt as Chet does, get in the plane and get it over with as soon as possible. Time in an airport is wasted time. That said, I had to book my next flight through Paris in order to use my air miles and so this trip I will get to see how that works out. Will give my take on it in September when I get back.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the round trip on the SAA Airbus in 2006 and just did the Delta 777 trip returning yesterday morning. All the flights were full. By far, I was more comfortable and the flight was shorter on the 777.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fully agree with Steve and others on aircraft type. 1800 hours in a 747 obviously clouds my vision, but it's all a matter of design philosophy. I like Boeing's. I don't like Airbus's. I ride uneasily on Airbuses for a variety of reasons I won't bother to detail here.

Aditionally, I have done that trip from MIA, ATL, and JFK to Jo'burg many times, both as pilot in command and as a passenger on the old SAA with the 747 and the "new" SAA with the A 340. The A 340 flight that SAA operates is one of the most, if not the most, uncomfortable flights in coach I have ever done in a 39 year career of commuting around the planet. I would never do it again.

I found the seat pitch to be uncomfortable and the cabin service to be unacceptable. The black cabin attendants were uniformly surly and resentful. It's an attitude thing that SAA has developed throughout their operating philosophy from top to bottom and I won't ever fly them again.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote