Find
Notify
Tools

When to buy airline tickets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good day all,

I am planning on going to Namibia in early Oct next year and am curiuos about when is the best/most economical time to buy airline tickets, if there is such a thing. My thinking is buy early for a better seat selection but then I've only made the trip to Africa once and that was 6 years ago.

I appreciate any insight given,

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the immediately preceding post -- at least at this moment.

but I think it's going to be 6 months out. Check with a good agent though.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Use a travel agent that specializes in international travel with Sporting goods (guns)

I try to Book about 6 months ahead of time. However i am checking with my travel agent as soon as i can usually 12 months out and ask them to look for the best rates and lock me in..

I also like to get any Visa if i need one ahead of time.

I also like to apply for my rifle permits as soon as i can to have them ready for me when i hit the ground...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Do exactly what Bwana338 suggested and you'll be happy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
If using airline miles, do it as quickly as the seats become available because the airlines allow a limited number of "free" seats per flight.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jsince:
Good day all,

I am planning on going to Namibia in early Oct next year and am curiuos about when is the best/most economical time to buy airline tickets, if there is such a thing. My thinking is buy early for a better seat selection but then I've only made the trip to Africa once and that was 6 years ago.

I appreciate any insight given,

Jim

The "best/economical" time for booking air travel tickets is that period of the year which is rated as "out of season".
Avoid summer and Xmas when Europeans in particular travel to the tropics for the summer break to enjoy beach and game viewing and the same bunch hitting the same destinations over Xmas/New Year to escape the cold.
Your travel agent will give you a better insight with regards to Namibia but the best deal will always be the one offered directly by the Airline.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you all, I definitely will book thru a travel agent that is used to dealing with hunters, I used Gracy the last time and will probably go with them again. I am strongly considering the Frankfurt/Windhoek route vs. Jo-berg, I like the sounds of breaking up that 16 hour ride. Onca again, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
If using airline miles, do it as quickly as the seats become available because the airlines allow a limited number of "free" seats per flight.

You can always book with miles, then if you find a smoking hot price, turn the miles in. Depending on your status, there may be a small fee. For me on Delta, there is no fee.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote