New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Burkina
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am traveling to Burkina for a hunt in Benin in mid Feb. I am not carrying firearms and the drive from Ouaga to hunting area in Benin is much shorter and relatively better roads than from Conotou, hence the decision. I do need to spend a night in Ouaga on the 14th. Anybody else from here in town on that day? If so where are you staying?

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AR79:
I am traveling to Burkina for a hunt in Benin in mid Feb. I am not carrying firearms and the drive from Ouaga to hunting area in Benin is much shorter and relatively better roads than from Conotou, hence the decision. I do need to spend a night in Ouaga on the 14th. Anybody else from here in town on that day? If so where are you staying?

I stayed at the Joly Hotel. There were too many US missionaries staying there and they had a conference/teach in going on when I was there. Also there was some UN event.

Give recent events - I would stay away from any place with US missionaries or flying US/EU flags in front to attract business.

Joly as a hotel was fine as a place to crash and had wifi and good food. It was small and relatively low profile.

Either security is great given recent events or you want to stay at a lower profile hotel.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - Thanks for the info. I am hoping security has increased following the incident. I was in Mumbai a week after the attacks in 2008 and that was the case then. In fact, security at hotels in Mumbai in general was greatly increased in the years following.

I am still wondering if it is better to stay at a smaller guest house type setting or one of the larger profile hotels. Of course that will depend on how the city and hotels are reacting to this with added security.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
I would hope there is a lot of added security. Regardless, have a safe trip and a good hunt.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Burkina Faso today terror attack happened on the day before I arrived still going on when I arrived . Stayed at a secure hotel many armed guards . No issues on the hunt many shooting opportunities on multiple animals .The airport very secure they take it seriously. Felt safe in country people very friendly and helpful . There is a travel advisory from state department you may want to read.Depends on your comfort level.PM me if you want more information or call 15305708891

Jim Ledgerwood

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good info, Jim, thanks! Several of us leave this Tuesday for Burkina Faso, arriving February 3rd. Looking forward to our hunt and hope you post a Hunt Report with pics of your trophies!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I hope it works out that I can go. Frowner

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Me too, buddy.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will give me about a week
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Good info, Jim, thanks! Several of us leave this Tuesday for Burkina Faso, arriving February 3rd. Looking forward to our hunt and hope you post a Hunt Report with pics of your trophies!

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Wishing y'all the best Mike and hope to see you Wed. Headed out tomorrow and heard again today things are very calm.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim - thanks for the info. Been getting regular updates from the outfitter as well as the security director of the company I work for. The tensions appear to have eased a bit, although security is still in place. Will be there in a few weeks. Guess I will find out....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good travel news... see you Wednesday Tim.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck AR79

have a great hunt

quote:
Originally posted by AR79:
Jim - thanks for the info. Been getting regular updates from the outfitter as well as the security director of the company I work for. The tensions appear to have eased a bit, although security is still in place. Will be there in a few weeks. Guess I will find out....

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
After a change in departure times from IAH to CDG, we are on for traveling this afternoon. Bwanajay and I will see you gents on Wednesday! Safe travels all...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delays in Atlanta keeping me at LEX a few extra hours. Will catch a later flight to Paris and resume reg schedule to Burkina!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck you guys hope the airline connections work well

Jim