THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Firearm Permit for Frankfurt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearm Permit for Frankfurt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've made trips to Namibia in 2009 and 2010. Both times I traveled through Frankfurt. Looking back at my old documents, I noticed in 2010 Gracey had me submit a document for a firearm permit in Frankfurt. Is this really necessary?? My rifles will be checked all the way through to Windhoek. My layover last about 10 hours.

I was thinking this may be required if I were to take possession of my rifle.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went through in 2006 w/o out one...never heard of it until now.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I went through on Lufthansa/Air Namibia in '06 and again in '09 and didn't need any permit. Gracy handled arrangements both times.

Like you, I would think you would only need the permit if you are collecting bags and offically "entering" Germany and not if your bags are checked through and you remain "in transit."

However, Gracy knows the requirements better than we do so I would just do what they tell you. Possibly something changed in 2010 since they didn't arrange for it in '09 but did in '10.

Maybe somebody else here has gone this route more recently and can add their experience.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
One of my uncles used to carry his garand around Frankfort out in the open. Never was questioned about it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did the US Airways to Frankfurt - Air Namibia to Windhoek trips in July. Had the 12hr day room layover with bags checked all the way through. Did not get or need any permits.

Only minor glitches were coming back. Air Namibia would not check the bags all the way through back to Tampa. She said she could only check them through to our port of entry (Charlotte). Not that big of deal since we had to claim bags/guns in Charlotte anyway to clear customs.

Second one was when getting our boarding passes in Frankfurt for US Airways. The ticket agent "required" me to fill out the "unloaded firearms" declaration form again, then they needed all my baggage claim stubs (because I didn't know which ones were for the gun cases) and had to wait until they found the gun cases. Crazy thing on this was they didn't bring the cases or ask for the keys to open them and put the little red card inside. After about a 30 min wait they gave me the paperwork back and told me to give it to the US Airways rep when we boarded the plane and gave them our boarding passes.

Other than that - piece of cake. Just make sure you don't have tight connections.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
quote:
then they needed all my baggage claim stubs (because I didn't know which one was for the gun case)

I learned that lesson the hard way too, and in the same airport (though a different airline, Lufthansa).

Since then I have always written on the claim stub for the gun case "gun case" so that when I'm asked which one is the gun case I know.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BuffNut - good idea. Guess one positive thing about giving them ALL the stubs is that they have to find ALL the associated bags. At least it might help ensure they all made to Frankfurt at least. (LOL)

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to do the same thing although I was flying Delta. I tried to tell the agent that I already had the signed firearms slip in the case but she refused to give me a boarding pass and had me stand aside while she dealt with the other passengers. After several phone calls she had me sign another slip and step out of line again. They never asked for my keys or got into the gun case as far as I know and I finally got my boarding pass.

I would still ten times rather fly through Frankfurt than Jo-Burg.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with United in Frankfurt a year ago.
The guy sent us to the ticket counter on the outside of customs, we explained to the agent and her Supervisor. She said that was not right, if the bags were checked through it did not need to be done. She then asked if the guy was “Sorta funny looking” and said he had done it before and the Super turned and picked up the phone.
We took the time to walk outside so I could say I had been in Germany.

I have found the more advanced a country is the easier it is to get into. We just walked through customs in Germany, to get into Zim is an ordeal

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I travelled United from LAX the ticket agent put a Green checkmark on the luggage tag for the gun case along with her initials.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote