THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Air Travel via Switzerland with Firearms

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Travel via Switzerland with Firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone transited Zurich with firearms? Not planning on claiming them, just have a 12-13 hour layover.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting route...from where to where?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
US - Zurich - Windhoek

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey! Tell us more. I was unaware that there were any airlines flying from Zurich to Windhoek. Sounds like an interesting route -- but is there a stopover or plane change at JNB?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive stumbled on a possible route: Tampa - Zurich (12-13 hr layover) - Zurich - JNB - WDH.

The odd part is return is WDH direct Zurich, six hour layover and direct Tampa. I think it is just the particular departure day going in is why the JNB leg is required in and not out.

Still trying to dig up better info and don't want to get my hopes up until the gun transit question can be sorted out.

Here is another route I've stumbled on. Ft. Myers to Berlin (12-13 hour layover) and Berlin direct WDH and same way back. After transiting Frankfurt with guns last year I know Germany has no issues with transit weapons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Air Berlin absorbed the old LTU Airlines which flew between Munich and Windhoek, so I'm assuming that the Zurich or Berlin service to/from Windhoek is also Air Berlin. When operating as LTU, I was told that they did not accept firearms as baggage. This could have changed. You'll need to check this out and also check to see if your connecting ailine from the U.S. has a baggage agreement with Air Berlin.

If you can avoid JNB, your trip will be shorter and your belongings less at risk.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if it were me, I'd go Tampa-Atlanta-Frankfurt-Windhoek. Just for the fun of it, I just priced a RT Tampa-Frankfurt for 2 weeks beginning end of May and it was $954 RT. I'd prefer to make my transfers in the US as much as possible. BTW those prices, according to the pricing chart I glanced at get considerably more expensive in parts of June and July.....summer tourist season, I suppose.

As Stonecreek said, unless they have changed their policies, Air Berlin had a specific company policy of NOT carrying firearms. I was considering flying them because they tend to be cheaper and I could visit another German city for less money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just searched around and POSSIBLY Air Berlin may have changed it's policies regarding firearms carriage. I found the following which is not the final say, but seems to indicate that the MIGHT carry firearms. (bold emphasis mine):

quote:
6.5.2.8 The Airline or the Operating Air Carrier may decide in each individual case whether to transport extra or special baggage. The decision relating to transportation of excess and special baggage is based on available capacity in the hold and on occupational health and safety regulations. As a result, excess and special baggage may be subject to a quantity restriction or entirely excluded from transportation. The Passenger shall only have the right to demand carriage of excess or special baggage registered in accordance with the provisions of section 6.5.2.9 if the Airline has confirmed the registration.
6.5.2.9 Any piece of baggage (whether it be travel baggage or sports baggage) over 32 kg / 71 pounds must be registered as especially heavy luggage at least 48 hours before departure at the Airline's Service Centre. The weight and dimensions of the excess or special baggage are to be provided upon registration.
6.5.2.10 The following terms also apply to sports equipment:
- If the baggage contains diving equipment, the weight-belts are to be transported without weights and compressed-air bottles must be empty. Diving lamps must be carried with the heat-creating element or battery packed separately, in order to prevent it switching on during the transport. All removed batteries are to be secured against short circuiting.
- Bicycles with an auxiliary engine or electric engine are deemed to be Dangerous Goods and are excluded from carriage as baggage.
- The Airline must be notified in advance if Passengers will be checking in sports weapons, hunting weapons and associated ammunition, or any items that have the appearance of or are labelled as weapons, ammunition or potentially explosive substances. The Airline recommends that Passengers carrying such items appear at the check-in desk early on the day of departure. The Airline or the Operating Air Carrier will only permit such items to be carried if they are transported as freight or checked baggage in accordance with statutory regulations covering the transportation of Dangerous Goods. Each Passenger is only permitted to carry a maximum of 5 kg of ammunition (of subclass 1.4S, UN0012 or UN0014). Further information will be provided upon registration.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote