THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    1st Buff Hunt / Depart Sea 07/14

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Buff Hunt / Depart Sea 07/14
 Login/Join

posted
I am off to Africa on my 1st Cape buffalo hunt July 14th the departure is via Air France Seattle / Paris AF # 309 & Paris to Jo Berg AF # 994. To say that excitement is pumping me up would be an understatement. After some days in SA with friends, we will be off to Mozambique to hunt with Bahati. From what I have seen and been told it will be an Adventure of a life time. If I win the Lotto sometime, maybe I can do it again, in this lifetime, before the onset of the Happy Hunting Grounds”

As a new member the postings and information learned on this site has been useful & informative. Thanks to all. Any last minute suggestions that a new be needs to know let it rip! Also anyone flying from Seattle on AF that date say Hello

Respectfully

Raghorn52

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Don't admire your first shot. Shoot (assuming other animals are in the way) until the sucker is tits up. JMHO.

I carry a light headlamp for reading after electricity is off for the night? or to get to the toilet.

You've still got time to order Winds of Havoc by Adelino Serras Pires. It will get you even more excited about your trip and teach you some of the history of the struggles of Mozambique. To Order click here.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With one successful buffalo hunt under my belt, I can relate to your excitement very well. You will need less than you take. If you have the room take treats for the hunting car group. I took cigarettes, tootsie roll pops, and small packs of M&M candy. Good luck and safe journey.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on making your first buffalo hunt. It will not be your last. You'll find that you can get by with an impala or two and maybe even a couple of large kudus. But, I really don't think you can hunt buffalo enough times. dancing

Enjoy yourself and go ahead and start planning for your return trip...

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I forgot...

You know, of course, that you'll need invites, etc., for RSA to get your gun permits. I've had split trips with stops in South Africa a bunch of times, and it's not difficult. You may want, however, to avoid all angst, use a service to have them ready when you arrive.. and still effective when you re-enter from Mozambique on return. I think, and someone more bright than I am can confirm, that your SAPs permit is good to have your guns in RSA, take them out of RSA to Mozambique (assuming you have the Mozambique stuff) and then bring them back into the country for the flight home.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After many hunts in Africa I will give you these two suggestions.
1. Please pay attention to your PH do exactly what he say's dont try to second guess him.
2. Always remember the odds of getting big game or the trophy you want is the same on the last day of your hunt as it is the first day. So have fun and dont get bummed out if the game aren't running you over.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raghorn,

I hope your first buffalo hunt is as successful as mine was this past April! Wait for the shot that YOU can make! then make it!

Best regards and have a GREAT trip!

I can hardly wait to go back!

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Judge;

We will just be overnighting at the Afton House then on to Moz the next morning. Question is, are all the forms the same as if you were going to enter RSA and hunt or just passing through?

On the return trip, all our bags will be checked straight through from Mozambique to Albuquerque so no handling in RSA required. Thanks

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I forgot...

You know, of course, that you'll need invites, etc., for RSA to get your gun permits. I've had split trips with stops in South Africa a bunch of times, and it's not difficult. You may want, however, to avoid all angst, use a service to have them ready when you arrive.. and still effective when you re-enter from Mozambique on return. I think, and someone more bright than I am can confirm, that your SAPs permit is good to have your guns in RSA, take them out of RSA to Mozambique (assuming you have the Mozambique stuff) and then bring them back into the country for the flight home.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I believe that you are correct as that is what I was told after entering Botswana from RSA then returning to RSA with firearms since it was still within the time frame stipulated in the temporary importation permit to RSA.

Best,
jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
jpj3:

I may be wrong, but I don't think SAPS gets involved in through checked baggage/guns.

In any event, just in case that you have an unexpected R.O.N. in J'burg, why not just get the permit for the entire trip? I did last year (hunted in RSA first, then to Zim, then Vic Falls check through to U.S.A. and the permit was quite routine and the RSA folks completely understood.

Belt and suspenders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another recommendation for Pires's Winds of Havoc. Moz has quite a history and Pires's book gives a first hand account of some less-than-pleasant goings-on during the 90's and before.

I'd love to hunt there, but probably never will. No matter how many buff hunts you do, the first one is the most memorable. Have fun and shoot straight.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote