THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    DELTA INTRODUCES 2ND BAG FEE FOR TRAVEL TO AFRICA IN ECONOMY

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DELTA INTRODUCES 2ND BAG FEE FOR TRAVEL TO AFRICA IN ECONOMY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted
For tickets purchased on/after 01 October for travel on/after 01 November onwards a second checked bag fee of $ 75.00 ($ 60.00 if paid online)will be charged for travel to South Africa. Below is the complete updated information.

Delta Amends International Baggage Fees and Policies Effective October 1,2011
(September 30, 2011) - Delta Air Lines is amending various baggage policies and fees for Economy Class travel on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights. These changes are being implemented to provide improved policy alignment with our Joint Venture partners and fee simplification for international travel regions.

Effective for tickets purchased on/after October 1, 2011, for travel as indicated below, a fee for a first or second checked baggage item will be implemented. In addition, for travel between various countries as noted, the fee for the second checked baggage item will be amended.

Key changes

Tickets Issued on/after Oct 1 for travel on/after Oct 15
• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $40* USD/CAD for travel Japan (entire country) to/from Guam/Saipan/Palau

• Increase 2nd bag fee to $40 USD/CAD for travel US, CA, MX, C. America, Caribbean to/from MX, C. America, Caribbean

• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $75 USD/CAD and $60 USD/CAD online for travel US, CA, MX, C. America, Caribbean, S. America (excluding Brazil) to/from Asia (excluding JP, PH), Australia, New Zealand

• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $75 USD/CAD and $60 USD/CAD online for travel US, CA, MX, C. America, Caribbean to/from S. America (excluding Brazil)

• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $75 USD/CAD/EUR and $60 USD/CAD/EUR online for travel between South America (excluding Brazil) and Europe

Tickets Issued on/after Oct 1 for travel on/after Nov 1
• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $75 USD/CAD and $60 USD/CAD online for travel US, CA, MX, C. America, Caribbean, S. America (excluding Brazil) to/from Middle East and South Africa

• Implement a 2nd bag fee of $75 USD/CAD and $60 USD/CAD online for travel US, CA, MX, C. America, Caribbean, S. America (excluding Brazil) to/from India

• Implement a 1st bag fee of $25* USD/CAD for travel US, CA to/from Caribbean (excluding DO, GY, HT)
*Same fee applies for online or airport check-in
Note: There are no changes to existing baggage exceptions for Military, Elite etc.

Definitions

US/Canada: United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands
Caribbean: Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Maarten, St Kitts, St Lucia, and Turks & Caicos
Central America: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama
South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela
Asia: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam
India: Republic of India
Middle East: Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Islamic Republic of Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, and Yemen
Southern Africa: Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, and Swaziland

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I just flew Delta to Joberg for the first time in August. Nice plane, better than the SAA airbus. It's a shame these airlines keep coming up with new charges. I'll go back to SAA just on principle, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the heads up. With the laundry service, etc, in most camps it is much easier to travel light these days.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Revenue from fees has doubled since 2008.

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/eco...led-since-2008/2813/

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
So, this means that anyone with a gun case has to pay an extra $75?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
So, this means that anyone with a gun case has to pay an extra $75?

Hi Norm - it would seem so as Delta does not seem to make any exceptions to checking in firearms. This is all they post on their website these days :

Shooting equipment

Shooting equipment is accepted as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if a security checkpoint is prior to the Delta counter.
All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter .
Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

If you need to travel with a weapon as checked baggage, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or Local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA site.

If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom as checked baggage, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains potential projectiles is not allowed.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be leaving next June with an observer who is Platinum on Delta. Do you think that he could check my gun case even though forms will be in my name?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
I will be leaving next June with an observer who is Platinum on Delta. Do you think that he could check my gun case even though forms will be in my name?

I don't see why not - he can check two bags free of charge and in my opinion there should be no problem with it. Of course it would depend on the check-in agents allowing it should they ask for identification of the ownership of the firearms - and if that is the case then let him check your other bag and you check the gun case.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.

Delta needs to check countries' regulations, most countries I have been to do not issue any permits until you arrive and go thru their process.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What's next? A fee to pee?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Probably so. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions:
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:

I don't see why not - he can check two bags free of charge and in my opinion there should be no problem with it. Of course it would depend on the check-in agents allowing it should they ask for identification of the ownership of the firearms - and if that is the case then let him check your other bag and you check the gun case.

Remember if you are going thru AMS you need the Dutch consent form...so the names better match.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a run on Tuff Pack sales to get guns and gear in one
bag. Only rub is the ammo. separate locked case in the
Tuff Pack or not.?????? Probably ok getting out of US. but not transiting
South Africa. They seem to want the ammo separate now, hate
to pay the fee for a small Pelican case of ammo checked separately.
Oh well the extra baggage fee on Delta is probably worth it for the direct flight. Stopping in Dakar to waste 2-3 hours and get gassed
while not being able to get out of your seat is the pitts.
Put Tuff Packs on the Christmas list.
Thanks Steve for posting........

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote