Find
Notify
Tools

Not so Hot about Delta
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Just arrived yesterday AAtlanta to Jo-Burg. First time I flew econimy on Delta. It was so-so. NO individual movie screens---just one movie each leg projected on the screen, which made for a long flight.

2 3 2 seat configuration. So-so food.

Biggest issue- the flight arrives at 4 pm, too late to do much with the rest of the day, a definite negative.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
OUCH! I booked Delta for my May 22-June 19 trip Tucson -- Atlanta --Johannesburg and return trip, mostly because of the bad reviews on this forum about South African Airways' narrow seats. I'm 6/4, 300 pounds and seat width is an important factor. Please tell me Delta's seats are wider than SAA's.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving in 2 days to Zim. Did not like th late arrival on Delta. So we are flying AFrance.
Atl/Paris/Jburg. Land 6am. Then charter.
Have more time to be in camp.

Posts: 29 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
DELTA
Economy Class: 31-32.0"pitch 18.0" width

SAA
Economy Class: 33.0" pitch 17.0" width

Here is some helpful seat info that is accurate.

Ray

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time on SAA there was a guy in my row so heavy he could not take the tray of of the armrest to eat. He had to eat off his wifes tray.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Last time on SAA there was a guy in my row so heavy he could not take the tray of of the armrest to eat. He had to eat off his wifes tray."

I have a 48-inch waist and have the same problem.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
Last time on SAA there was a guy in my row so heavy he could not take the tray of of the armrest to eat. He had to eat off his wifes tray.

Why did they let him eat?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

Be nice........... Cool

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Why did they let him eat?"

I resent that.

At 6/4 and 300 pounds I definitely am overweight. However, it is not because I overeat. I have several medical conditions -- and take a wierd combination of medicines -- that have puffed me up like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

I probably consume fewer calories than most of you.

As for exercise, as soon as my heart rate reaches 100 beats per second or so I kick into atrial fibrillation, which launches an eratic heartbeat of 190 to 300 bps, which lowers my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

My point is that obesity is not always a sign of gluttony.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

rotflmo

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
"Why did they let him eat?"

I resent that.

At 6/4 and 300 pounds I definitely am overweight. However, it is not because I overeat. I have several medical conditions -- and take a wierd combination of medicines -- that have puffed me up like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

I probably consume fewer calories than most of you.

As for exercise, as soon as my heart rate reaches 100 beats per second or so I kick into atrial fibrillation, which launches an eratic heartbeat of 190 to 300 bps, which lowers my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

My point is that obesity is not always a sign of gluttony.

Bill Quimby
You're right Bill. But as humans we tend to generalize to make things simpler. I hate Delta and MOST people that are obese CAN do something about their weight.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
There are many different ways of flying to Africa on different carriers.

At many different price ranges.

So you have choices.

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"MOST people that are obese CAN do something about their weight."

That's generalizing, and I have no idea whether that is true or not. I do know dieting does little for me and exercising puts me in a hospital.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of flying SAA when they flew the 747 from ATL nonstop to JNB and one stop back. Very nice even in coach but this is not your fathers SAA. Along came the airbus with the most uncomfortable seats I've experienced regardless of pitch or width. SAA is government controlled and the airbus is the result of anti U.S. sentiment. IMO Delta,NW, KLM, and BA or Lufthansa are safer and that's more important than what passes for entertainment on airlines these days. Rumor has it training standards are not evenly applied at SAA.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that Delta just showed one movie there and one movie back? One movie for an 18 hr flight? I leave in July and am flying Delta. I certainly hope there is more than just one movie. By the way, what was the movie?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Bluefin
I just flew back from London yesterday and we saw 2 movies each way on a 8 hr flight. We saw "breach" and "shooter". I thought both were good and it killed time. That was in coach as well. Food was great and plenty of it. Flight attendants were great as well. Since I am flying to JNB on the 28th of June I asked about the flight and I heard that they show 2 movies for each leg of the flight from ATL to Dakar then to JNB. I beleive one of the movies is "wild hogs" comedy. I also looked at the sky magazine and they listed several movies. Breach, shooter, astronaut farmer, and wild hogs were a few. Hope that helps!

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I hope if they are only showing two movies that they are entertaining and looooonnnnnnggg!! LOL

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
No problems with Delta. Plenty of room, plenty of food and drink, staff was nice. I think they have replaced SAA for me.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
On last years trip to Africa, (Dulles to Jo-Berg and back part) I flew on SAA’s new Airbus. For this year’s trip to the Dark Continent, I was delighted to see that Delta was going to fly out of Atlanta. Even though the cost was a bit higher, I eagerly opted for the Delta flight anticipating a higher level of creature comforts. Flying coach (cheapo yeah I know), I wrongly assumed that the general comfort level would be better than SAA. The assumption of improved comfort would quickly be dashed as soon as I sat down in the torture chair.

Following my trip of a few days ago I would offer the following observations:

Seat: The Delta seat had better padding in the seat cushion- positive point for Delta – but that is the only one. The SAA seat bottom cushion felt like it might of at one point had about a ¼†of padding. The comfort level was similar to sitting on a hardwood bench in church. On the SAA flight I was actually folding up blankets to try and get some padding to sit on – this was one of the reasons for my trying Delta. Delta seat cushion was defiantly better but that was about the only thing that was better.

On the Delta trip (going over) I had opted for an aisle center section seat (Seating configuration on Delta is 2-3-2) hoping for a vacant seat next to me – no chance – not a vacant seat in the house. The legroom in that seat would have fit nicely -- for someone that is vertically challenged – for those of us exceeding the 6’ mark – forget it –my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me. The only relief available was to extend my legs under the seat in front of me. There was no way I could lower the tray to the horizontal position unless my legs were extended under the seat in front of me. The seat back was of insufficient height to even remotely put my head back with any type of support — I tried to use the pillow but that resulted in my contributing the pillow to the kid behind me. For the return trip and in an effort to get some sleep, I begged my way into a window seat. The leg room was actually better but I would vastly prefer and aisle seat to be able to move around a bit. For those flying Delta --- avoid the center 3 seats if you are vertically gifted.

As to the onboard entertainment system – SAA wins period – multiple movies and items to chose from and the screen is located in the seat back directly in front of you for your own personal movie system. The Delta entertainment presentation sucks – period! Both in equipment and material presented. First - the controls are located in the side of the side armrest in a position that only a contortionist could appreciate. Delta should provide chiropractors on every flight to correct the body malfusions that result from just trying to see the control panel - let alone make it work. And totally forget the earphones that Delta supplies for your listening enjoyment – the words to accurately describe these things are not appropriate for viewing on a family forum such as AR. If you fly Delta – purchase your own earphones prior to entering that aluminum tube of doom – in fact there is money to be made here—buy a bunch of earphones and sell them on the plane. I noticed that most passengers tried to utilize the supplied earphones but almost all eventually gave up and sat there staring at the screen trying to lip read. Speaking of which – if you are located more than a few rows back – keep you binos handy – you will need them to see the movie – remember those screens in the seat backs on the SAA flights – Delta is clueless on this one. The window seat that I had on the return flight had a wonderful view of a small screen unit in a forward section of coach as long as my head was in the lap of the guy sitting in the aisle seat next to me – man did he ever get nervous when I smiled at him – no humor there! Actually the crud that Delta was showing was so horrid that there was no big loss on not being able to hear or seen the presentation. If one is flying on Delta – great opportunity to read all those unread magazines or a whole paperback – in other words come prepared to entertain yourself for your 16 hours of close contact with the rest of the world in Deltas version of a flying aluminum beer can.

Service: Ancient history on both airlines – I have had good and horrible at the hands of both airlines but if I had to actually chose I probably would pick Delta as the winner by a hair on this one. Only because of one segment on SAA out of Jo-Berg where the attendants were less than enthusiastic about serving us white folk.

In summary I was really disappointed in the Delta flight and mostly in the creature comforts. That is a long flight regardless if you are in business class or cattle car. If you decide to fly Delta – beware of your seat assignment (suggest outside row as I “think†there may be more perceived leg room) and bring your own entertainment as Delta’s gets a red light.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 931 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood,
You're not making me look forward to the Delta 18 hr flight! LOL
I did purchase a portable cd/dvd player just in case. Didn't think I'd need it but now I'm thinking I'd better bring it along.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
To be honest here -- there is no easy winner -- at least between Delta and SAA. Realistically it is the length of the flight that puts the picture in perspective. On our shorter "in country" flights we can and do suffer through - or put up with - the lousy service/seating/entertainment we are provided for a couple hours. When one is stuck for over 3/4 of a full day in the same seat -- the comfort level - of lack thereof -- becomes vastly more obvious and irritating.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 931 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
It is one of the obstacles we cross to get to go to the Dark Continent.

It is a long flight, either way you slice it but I give the nod to Delta each time.

Do the research and find what best fits you. I am vertically challenged as well at 6'3" 255. So I am more than wiling to upgrade using miles on Delta. But if you dont, Row 17 C,D,E seem to be the best seats.

I agree on headsets, All the airlines are bad in this realm. Especailly if you are located near the engines of the plane. You can get a decent pair for under a $100.

Delta IMO is far better at service, especailly on this flight.

Good Hunting!

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063