New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best way to insure my firearms for my trip. Was going to talk to my insurance agent to see if my homeowners would cover this, or if there are short term coverage plans for trips. Thanks, Rich.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my doubles I contacted my insurance man and had them listed by name,description and serial number. I also had to have an apprasial of their value. I made sure that coverage was good anywhere in the World, loss or damage for ANY reason.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Can also get insurance thru SCI at Sportmans Insuranc Agency. They charge 1.25% a year. Pretty reasonable I think.

www.siai.net

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use siai.net, their rates are pretty good. I looked at using my homeowners but they put way too many restrictions on what they would cover during a trip. Biggest of which is they would not cover anything when rifles were not in my possession, i.e. if stolen in airport.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my homeowners covers them all i have to do is list them & pay

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I purchased travel insurance that covered lost luggage up to $5000.00.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with your homeowners insurance.... even with a special rider on the policy.

I had the extended NRA firearm's insurance and had two expensive shotguns stolen from my trunk at a trapshoot. And, as I had my guns covered on my homeowners policy the NRA covered what that policy didn't. My homeowners policy covered $1,000 per gun and the NRA picked up the rest.

A week later I received a notice from the insurance company that handled my homeowners insurance telling me I was cancelled.....and it's very, very hard to get coverage on your home once you've been cancelled ... and you pay a very high premium for it when you can find someone who will provide coverage.

The bottom line is my homeowners policy specifically excludes firearms and I have my firearms covered 100% elsewhere.....and don't forget to check the coverage as many don't cover overseas unless specifically notified.

P.S. The NRA extended insurance is very good and I would still have it but I've exceeded their limit.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have our insurance with USAA and they will cover in full my rifles as long as they are scheduled(for an extra premium). If unscheduled, I believe they pay 1500.00/rifle. We schedule all our rifles and Glenda's jewelry after our 375 was stolen in Dallas this past January

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
I purchased travel insurance that covered lost luggage up to $5000.00.

THis & the SCI policies are the best way to go IMO. Trip insurance isn't a bad idea anyway & you get unconditional coverage of your luggage. Add the SCI, membership requ'd. & you are pretty well covered.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with siai, I've had great luck with them.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my home insurance with State Farm, I have been with them on everything for about the last 30 years...I insure my guns for up to one year when I go on a trip for about $90.00 and its good for one year, I insure my double and a bolt gun usually for about $25,000...The paid up quickly on every claim that I have made, for damages or loss..For what its worth apparantly some State Farms will insure guns and others will not..If you live in Idaho they will......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be an adjustor with a major insurance company and I specialized in firearms claims. There are a number of exclusions built in at the state level for insurance companies (it's a boiler plate type of coverage). You can buy riders that put coverage back in but be very careful about trusting them for overseas trips based upon your homeowner's policy. I would want to get that specifically in writing from the company. Every homeowner policy I have seen excludes coverage out of the country (some include Mexico or Canada).

You have to think about it from their side...why should they cover you on a homeowner's policy once the items leave the house...much less the country?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Can also get insurance thru SCI at Sportmans Insuranc Agency. They charge 1.25% a year. Pretty reasonable I think.

www.siai.net

Plus, they will insure all your optics, your rings, mounts, and any custom work, such as bedding or trigger jobs you've had done. Can't beat it. Sure beats the hell out of your homeowners insurance.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
If it is just the trip you are concerned with, get the Travel Insurance as it will cover everything, including medical, cancellation, extraction and transport, and even life insurance for the trip. And it was quite reasonable.

For year-long protection, go with NRA Armscare insurance - best rates I've seen. I used to sell multiple lines of home insurance and most of the companies that insure homes are leery of giving you much coverage (if any) for your guns. And then you have to worry about getting canceled if you ever file a claim.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sportsman's Insurance Agency in Florida is the only way to go on gun insurance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Sportsman's Insurance Agency in Florida is the only way to go on gun insurance.

Amen, They are great to work with.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote