Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

posted
When you list your firearms on the 4457 exactly how much detail do you go into when decribing each firearm and scope? Also, which additional items in addition do you you list on the 4457?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make, Model, Ser #. I also list the type of scope

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make model and ssn on gun, make model on scope. You want to have a separate 4457 for each rifle. Theoretically you should have a 4457 for any items of value Camera lap top jewelry exc to prove that you bought them in the USA. Avoiding any argument with customs that you bought them over seas incurring duty charge. On my 4457 I just have the Make model and ssn of the gun never have had any problems. In addition most countries accept a 4457 as prof of ownership and a US license for the fire arm. They cannot get their head around the fact that US citizens do not need a license to own firearms

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
Make, Model, Ser #. I also list the type of scope

+1

I also list the caliber of each firearm and also list any other high value items I am taking (like my Swarovski Binoculars)

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do a separate 4457 for each gun and scope.
That way, if I upgrade my optics or change my scopes my 4457's are accurate to what I am taking.

It could be hard to explain why your 4457 has one scope and your rifle has another.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Bixby:
I do a separate 4457 for each gun and scope.
That way, if I upgrade my optics or change my scopes my 4457's are accurate to what I am taking.

It could be hard to explain why your 4457 has one scope and your rifle has another.

Not at all hard to explain. "That scope was sold and the scope on it now is new and is listed here on this other 4457". That explains it well and I've done exactly that.

I know many guys state you need a 4457 for each gun but I've not found that to be the case. In fact, the customs agent that has signed the majority of mine has insisted all the guns or other items I'm adding be on a single 4457 so that she doesn't have to sign and process more than one form. As long as the item in question is listed on a 4457 somewhere, you are good to go. If you run into a hassle, ask for a supervisor. I have several 4457's and they all have multiple guns, scopes, cameras, computers on them. Whatever gear I'm taking, I just make sure I have that particular item covered on one of the 4457's somewhere. I've never had a problem with that. I hear some guys have, but I haven't now on 11 overseas hunting trips, carrying multiple rifles on each trip and clearing customs in Anchorage, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Washington DC, as well as Los Angles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry more than one scope per rifle, so I do separate forms for rifles and scopes. They are good for life, so laminate them and keep them year after year.

Question: I have an Elephant hide secretary that would be great to organize my hunting stuff. If I get a 4457 on it would I have a problem? Or, would I just be better off using my usual redwells and plastic folders?

Posts: 10125 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never put a scope on my 4457 and have never been asked about it. I have traveled internationally with firearms 19 times coming into to washington dulles mostly, but also Jfk, atl, la, and have never had any issues with 4457 and only having my rifle on it..as a matter of fact half the time they never even look at ot, just see that i have it. In dulles they often do not even ask to see weapon and just say welcome home.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
I have never put a scope on my 4457 and have never been asked about it. I have traveled internationally with firearms 19 times coming into to washington dulles mostly, but also Jfk, atl, la, and have never had any issues with 4457 and only having my rifle on it..as a matter of fact half the time they never even look at ot, just see that i have it. In dulles they often do not even ask to see weapon and just say welcome home.

I have had exactly the same experience at Dulles. The agent asks me if I have my guns on a 4457, but they have never asked to see the form or my guns....and they always do say "welcome home".

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What Brent and subsailor74 said. Around 20 international trips without having a single scope listed on a 4457. Never asked and don't ever expect to be.

The purpose of the 4457 is to be able to prove to USCustoms that the article departed the US and is not a "new" item being brought into the US and hence subject to collection of duty (import tax). If you buy an item in the JNB Duty Free concourse, for instance, that item is dutiable upon return to the USA.

I don't do binos or cameras or any items other than firearms on 4457. If the item shows marks of being used, it is unlikely to ever be questioned by USCustoms. You can put as many items onto a single form as you can squeeze onto it. BTW, a receipt showing the item was purchased in the USA will suffice in lieu of a 4457.

Now, some african agents only like to see one item per form - this started in RSA a few years ago, apparently at the whim of some RSA agents who didn't want to look through multiple items on the same 4457 - but that is NOT a USCustoms requirement. Africans regard the 4457 as a "license" for the firearm, which it is not. No copy of the form 4457 is retained by nor entered into a database by USCustoms. It is solely for the use of the item owner.

Hope this helps clarify the purpose and use of the 4457.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't list my scopes.

The 4457 is a gov't knee jerk reaction to 9-11; prior to that I never traveled with them and never got any crap for not having one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Didn't list my scopes either.
Couldn't hurt to have them on their own separate forms, but unlikely to be used.

One rifle per form.

My experience at the customs office was very good. Filled out about a half dozen forms for any rifle I might take abroad anytime soon.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I list my scopes by serial number.

And I have a seperate 4457 for Binos, cameras etc...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put multiple rifles on a form. Notice that this is not a registration as it has been mentioned in the past. It is on a single piece of paper and there is no carbon or digital copy.

Mike is right that other countries have been using them as a license. So in that case a single rifle per form may be easier. However, I have never had any trouble in jburg, bulawayo, windhoek, any Asian country or anywhere else for that matter.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:

I have had exactly the same experience at Dulles. The agent asks me if I have my guns on a 4457, but they have never asked to see the form or my guns....and they always do say "welcome home".

I got pulled on my return trip from Joberg couple years ago. Don't ask me why I was the only one pulled. There was 12 or so singles and couples (with gun cases) coming through custom at JFK but, I was by far the youngest.
The agent was just miserable but only verified the ser # on the rifle to the 4457.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If has a serial number, it is on (one of) my 4457(s).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_4457.pdf

This PDF 4457 form may be of use to someone. Information can be typed directly onto it, even after it is downloaded.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever had any problem relying on a photocopy of an original 4457? I always keep PDF copies of my documents, and I have one for a particular rifle but can't for the life of me find the original. I hate to take the rifle all the way back to Customs just to get another 4457 when I have a PDF I can print out.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend folks have a separate 4457 for each weapon. It avoids the question in Africa "Where are these other guns". In my experience when you explain to the US Custom agent that often foreign countries see the 4457 as a license they have no problem writing one for each gun.

It is recommended that you put all valuables on a 4457 to avoid duty. In my experience the only thing that gets checked on your reentry to the US is the rifle's serial#. On my first safari I put rifle's, scopes, binos, everything on the 4457. Nobody checked anything other than the rifle SN. Now I only put the rifles on the 4457.

One thing I don't think that has been mentioned is the Customs guys will want your current address on the 4457. If you are living somewhere other than the address on the 4457 they will want to issue another one. Happened to me twice on my way out of Seattle. Customs told the airline to notify them if a passenger showed up with guns. They didn't say that if the passengers had 4457's they didn't have to be called. So we spent 30 minutes waiting for Customs on two occasions. Customs checked my serial numbers to see if they corresponded to the 4457s and issued new ones to reflect my current address.

When someone gets all the scenarios that might be encountered when flying with guns written down please let me know. The adventure involved in traveling with guns is something I could do without.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote