New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another ammo question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any prohibition on carrying ammo for your hunting partner? I am going to SA in Sept. and I thought it might be a good idea if my partner and I split up our ammo. I would take 1/2 of his and he would take 1/2 of mine. If one of our checked bags is lost then at least we would both have some ammo.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Depends on a few factors but SA only allow you to import ammo of the same calibre as your rifle. Assuming you're bringing in different calibred rifles, technically, you'd need to swop your ammo boxes back to the proper owners in the baggage hall before you got to the police firearms office.

If you need to get firearms import forms, you'll find them here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ermit-downloads.html

And if you want to use a firearms import assistance service to get your import licences pre issued, you'll find two very good ones here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...nting-directory.html

You might find other parts of the site useful as well.

Hope that helps

One of Us
Picture of PBens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Is there any prohibition on carrying ammo for your hunting partner? I am going to SA in Sept. and I thought it might be a good idea if my partner and I split up our ammo. I would take 1/2 of his and he would take 1/2 of mine. If one of our checked bags is lost then at least we would both have some ammo.

I just returned from a 14 day trip to SA. My rifles were checked 4 times all in the J'berg airport upon arriving and departing, but no one ever asked to see my ammunition. Good luck.

Posts: 57 | Location: McCormick, SC, USA | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote