Find
Notify
Tools

220 volts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
The folks at the travel shop said many rechargers for newer models of digital movie cams and other appliances can handle the 220 volt current in Europe and Africa. I have the proper plug adapter for Namibia. The Canon recharger says 100v-240v50-60Hz~17W. Is this thing going to work OK without me having to buy a converter? Many thanks for any help.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16433 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon,
My brother and I bought camera and radios in USA and having put a EU plug adapter on the recharger, we do not have problems in charging the batteries.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
What is the proper adapter for Namibia? Two round posts, two flat posts, or three flat posts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have encounted several different type plug receivers in Namibia. The little sack full of adaptars I bought at Radio Shack allowed me to find one that would fit, used them all across europe as well.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Yes, your Canon recharger will work. Many (most) modern electronic devices automatically adjust to operate on any voltage in common use. It's just a matter of fitting the right plug.

As for the plug, this site may be of interest:
http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the little adapter from radio shack is only 35 or so, & is worth having anyway. another alternative is to use the 12v charger and plug into the land cruiser

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
People,
when in Windhoek, if you go to Gustav Voigts Centre, underf Kalahari Sands Hotel, there is the Ernst Holtz Safariland Shop. You will find there all the adapetr that you need..

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a fancy converter along with the receptacle adapters before this years trip to Namibia and Zimbabwe. then, I read the disclaimer that came with the converter; the instruction booklet that came with my canon, iridium and cell phone. I did not need the converter!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote