New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There has been considerable discussion on whether or not to use meet and greet.all I can say is that Gilbert from Africa Sky is a life saver. Not only did he expedite going through Joberg SAPS, but he heed us on the return trip when spotted us in OR Tambo and came up and got us through with no hassle. My reason for posting this after we landed I PE I had to go to SAPS and pick up my guns. All this officer had to do was look and see if Joberg had stamped my paper work and we would be good to go. She stamped my paper work and then asked me for a tip. Fortunately she was holding out my paper work and I took it from her hand. I asked "do you want a really good tip? She nodded and I told her"Buy low and sell high" and walked away. In retrospect that probably was not too smart, but it made me angry that some one would try and shake you down for doing her job when all she had to do was stamp my paper work. I think in SAPS favor they are trying to upgrade their professionalism as all the other officers were polite,professional, and courteous. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky has taken care of me a couple of times. Can't remember specifically if it was Gilbert or not, but that sounds right. Anyway, did you stay there overnight? If so, what do you think?

I'm looking forward to your hunt report and pics too.
Glad you made it back safely.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen in PE back in 2009. My PH was with us when the SAPS asked for a "Christmas present" after stamping and releasing our firearms. Our PH said a few words to him and away we went.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We had a last minute flight change last week that left us little time for our connection in Jo'berg. The people at SAPS were unbelievably helpful and expedited us through and wanted nothing more but a hearty "thank you" in return.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We did stay overnight at Africa Sky and their hospitality was amazing. Not only is Gilbert an asset to Africa Sky, he likes country music as well. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Hoover:
We did stay overnight at Africa Sky and their hospitality was amazing. Not only is Gilbert an asset to Africa Sky, he likes country music as well. Jerry Hoover

Didn't know Gilbert liked country music but do know he was a lot of help as was "Queen" the wonderful lady at the desk at Africa Sky. We will stay with them again if we go through Johannesburg.

And yes, I did tip the SAPS people coming and going at Johannesburg. I was advised that it was a good idea by a fellow hunter/traveler. I didn't tip the bathroom attendant at the airport.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my second trip through Jo'burg (way back in 2003) I was hit up for "beer money". I had a couple bucks worth of Rand and just gave them that.

I will probably use a pre-approved SAPS this year, since I am staying at Afton House.

Are the Jo'burg porters still as aggressive as they used to be?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The more these folks get "tipped" for nothing the more they will ask for it. These guys are not doing anything special or personal for you on a routine trip through the SAPS office. They don't deserve anything extra but they know they have a slight intimidation factor on their side. Now if a little extra effort is needed a little motivation money might be in order. We arrived very late from London at O.R. Tembo before they had the new terminal. We had to check the guns with the police before we got on the connecting flight to Zim. A plainclothes cop started telling me how late we were etc. I cut him off and explained that I knew it was an inconvenience for him to get my guns on the plane as I slipped him a $20. He shut up, didn't check the guns and my rifles made it to Bulawayo. The other luggage arrived a day later. Use your common sense and you'll be fine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12909 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote