THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Trouble with Delta 777 nonstop??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Delta 777 nonstop??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just spoke with Shawn at Gracy travel for a trip to SA in May of 2010. I asked about the new nonstop Delta flight and she said they have had tremendous problems with it so far. A high amount of lost baggage, stranded passengers in Atlanta for days, not being helpful to get people on the next flight.

What do you guys know about it? Any good/bad experiences? We may have to go with the SA flight and tack a few extra hours onto the trip.

Thanks, Eric

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I also just spoke with Shawn and while there have been some problems she feels this is more of a concern for next year during the World Cup time frame than now. Not the best news to hear two days before I fly out.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Came back that way on June 6 ... no problems at all.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
They have been having some trouble with this flight since it started on June 1st. I kept a record of the departure time for the first two weeks of June and I think there was only one or two days that it left on time.

Delta is very bad at assisting passengers that miss their connecting flights. They do not allow travel agents to book alternative flighs on their behalf - only a Delta representative can do it.

With all the weather problems that Atlanta has been having make sure you give yourself plenty of time making the outbound connection in Atlanta. I've been advising 4 hours at least to ensure you do not miss the flight to Johannesburg. If you are booking mileage award tickets online check the connection flights carefully - Delta only requires a 50 minute connecting time in Atlanta and invaribly the availabililty comes up with the tight connection.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. Shawn said she wished she had never booked people on that flight. Pretty bad when that comes from a travel agent. I suppose if people could keep us up to date on this as the year goes on it would help. The Delta ticket is 700.00 more than the SAA ticket at this time for a flight next May, so it is attractive, but the idea of a nonstop and a better plane is tempting. Unless of course I get stuck in Atl or lose my baggage Cool
Please keep any reports coming. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown 3,000,000 miles on Delta. Needless to say that makes me familiar with them.

In the last 3 months, I have personally experienced a string of weather delays on Delta flights that is like nothing I have ever experienced with them. I have been stranded more than once overnight. Compounding the problem is the schedule cutbacks. It is simply harder to get from point A to point B than it used to be, even on a good day.

It doesn't take much bad weather to back up the Atlanta airport. However, often times the problem is weather in other areas that creates the problem.

I am taking the non stop flight the end of September. My advice to anyone taking the flight is to give your self plenty of time in Atlanta. Better to spend a couple of extra hours there than having to spend the night and losing an expensive day of hunting.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just flew Delta to Joberg on June5 and returned to the states on June 19. I guess we got lucky. Our flight was on time in both directions and our experience was far far better than four previous SAA flights dating back to 2002. The non stop cuts several hours off of the flight and the crew was stellar. My last flight on SAA the crew was well...not.

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that. I'm going to try my luck tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bamabow:
My wife and I just flew Delta to Joberg on June5 and returned to the states on June 19. I guess we got lucky. Our flight was on time in both directions and our experience was far far better than four previous SAA flights dating back to 2002. The non stop cuts several hours off of the flight and the crew was stellar. My last flight on SAA the crew was well...not.

C'mon Bamabow,
How dare you rain on the pity party with your good news. I, too, had good experiences. I was going to post them, but nobody wanted to listen to the good.

So stop being so damn positive and thankful !!!!! LOL

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like what I am hearing so far! I hope it continues to improve. Keep 'em coming...

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
We just returned and flew the new Delta non-stop. Flew out June 12 from Atlanta to JB and returned June 24 JB to Atlanta. The plane was the the best we have been on in several trips. The staff was great, food good, seat back entertainment center worked perfectly, all luggage made it both ways. The only problems were a two hour weather delay leaving Atlanta, and we missed our Atlanta to Houston flight on the way back by five minutes due to a back up at customs. The Delta ticket agent put us on the next flight no problem. All said and done it was the best flight we have hade in several years.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 7 airlines over the yrs and have only had major trouble twice onces BA lost a bag and i did not get it back till thre months later when i sent them a bill It appeared out of thin air IN NAIROBI. where it had been for three months!!!! if you kep from it never never never fly emerits Mad Mad take my word for it there the worst in always

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should keep in mind that thunderstorm season is in full swing nationwide and in the Caribbean. This can affect connecting flights. Thunderstorms often form in lines and can be vicious, or in clusters, or over individual airports somwhere up the line, where it hangs around for an hour, closing one airport, causing a ripple effect. It's tough getting in and out of Atlanta oftentimes, as big boomers build there and throughout the southeast. Give yourslf plenty of time making connections, if at all possible.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Pray for good weather on 7/11 then. My flt from CLT is sched to arrive 2 hours prior to my flt 200 departure.
I'll might need to practice my gate sprint.

Chet

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChetNC:
Pray for good weather on 7/11 then. My flt from CLT is sched to arrive 2 hours prior to my flt 200 departure.
I'll might need to practice my gate sprint.

Chet

I'll see you on that flight!

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crowkiller:

I'll see you on that flight!

Find the best looking guy on the flight. That'll be my boy Mason. I'll be the mildly amusing guy sitting next to him. Big Grin

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or does everyone on here get excited when someone is just days away from leaving for Africa?

I get all goose-bumpy and want to stow away on the plane.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chet -You should seriously consider getting an earlier flight because if you have any delay at all on the early flight you stand a very good chance of missing the second flight. I would try to get four hours connection time in Atlanta because this is a big airport and there can be delays getting in and out.

Last time I was there it toook two hours to clear security.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time I was there it toook two hours to clear security.

Why would he have to go through security again in ATL?

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You exit the secured area after clearing customs.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew out on 6/9. The flight was delayed 2 hours due to some mechanical issue. I am glad they decided to address whatever the issue was. Flew back on 6/23. Plane was full both ways. Besides the delayed departure. no problems.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds,
When international flights arrive in Atlanta, you must claim you luggage (even if checked through to your final destination) and go through customs. Then you have to put your luggage back in the luggage sorting system and go back through security (even if Atlanta is the final destination) to get back to the departure concourses and baggage claim. Once out of customs, I've found the security to go pretty fast. On my return from RSA on 6/23/09, I passed through security in less than 5 minutes. I don't know the if the process differs at other U.S. international airports.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but ChetNC is talking about making a connection through ATL from CLT, which last time I was there is still part of the US. All you do is get off the a/c and change terminals and get on your connecting flight. You do not exit the secured area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not have to clear security again, one does have to clear customs at whatever the departure port is located. One does not have to leave the secure area.

It seems to me that SAA must pay a larger fee to travel agents or sell blocks of seats at a good price. My experience with SAA since they dropped the 747-400 has been uniformly dreadful. The airbuses are very uncomfortable and SAA is indifferent at customer service on a good day.

When crossing the equator there is always some weather in the area(thunderstorms) and you don't want to be on an aircraft where the remedy for a weak rudder and vertical stabilizer is not to use the rudder in violent weather. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Just don't take or send your wife and children. They don't call these things "scarebuses" for nothing.

Adrian

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I flew out 6/19 and returned 6/30 on the Delta flight. Arrived in Jo'berg 1 hour and 20 minutes late, return trip was on time. Plane was FULL both directions. Flight sucks but until they can beam me up....as good as any I've flown.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doc, it has to be better than the last time we went through Senegal and got fumigated and sat on the tarmack for 3 hours while they fixed a fuel nozzle so we could gas up. I hope it is better if it can cut 2 hours of the travel time I am in plus Boeing is better than airbus anyday. Hope you and your son have fun and send us pictures.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chet and Crowkiller, I'll be on that flight along with another hunter. Looks like we may have the beginnings of a liars convention.
Lewis

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went out June 3 and came back June 19. An houyr late going out but arrived 30 min late. Thirty min late coming back. All in all a good flight compared to SAA the last few years. No security problems in Atlanta but cusoms searched my baggage for a change. Found dirty laundry!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My husband came up with this one and we avoid Delta whenever possible.

D...Doesn't
E...Ever
L...Leave
T...The
A...Airport

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lewis50:
Chet and Crowkiller, I'll be on that flight along with another hunter. Looks like we may have the beginnings of a liars convention.
Lewis

Too bad we can't pull up a couple seats and set up a card table.
See you there.
Chet

posted Hide Post
I flew out on the inaugural Delta flight June 1, Left out two hour late - mechanical problem ( brand new plane ) then it was fine from there.

Left Joberg the 19th and got back in Atlanta without a hitch.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member

Posts: 5 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back yesterday. No problems either way.
Flight was full both ways. Even the SAA connection to Zim went pretty smooth. No theft and all bags made it both ways. JNB seemed more efficient this year than last year. Basically a lot better than last years route through Dakar.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lewis50:
Lewis

Lewis, I'm the other hunter traveling with you. I should have told you my user name.

ChetNC, I'll be easy to pick out, with my "Africa hat" and subdued earth tone clothing. I have not decided if I'm going whole hog with my camo backpack for carry-on yet.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSIMMONS:
Tradewinds,
When international flights arrive in Atlanta, you must claim you luggage (even if checked through to your final destination) and go through customs. Then you have to put your luggage back in the luggage sorting system and go back through security (even if Atlanta is the final destination) to get back to the departure concourses and baggage claim. Once out of customs, I've found the security to go pretty fast. On my return from RSA on 6/23/09, I passed through security in less than 5 minutes. I don't know the if the process differs at other U.S. international airports.

We came back on the Delta flight yesterday and all went well. Flights to and from Joburg were on time and our luggage/rifles all arrived with us. RSimmons is correct that when you land in Atlanta and have a connecting flight, you will go through passport control, claim your luggage, clear customs, then turn your luggage over to be sent to your final destination and you will go through security once more to get to the other terminals from the E terminal that you came in on.

Posts: 26 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I just now got home from a South African trip with Delta on the 777. All went very well and all luggage arrived with me. Only complaint is the Hard Seats on the 777. I think you have to clear customs and TSA when you arrive in any airport from an International flight and then re-check your luggage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a round trip on the 777 with Delta in business class. Met Royce and his son on the same flight. Had no problem at all and liked the privacy of the new seats. They were a little hard but the way you could sleep made it all worth it. We did have a problem not due to Delta but because the complete fuel pressure system at OR Tambo airport had shut down for about an hour. Delta team did a great job getting us out of there but I did miss my connection. I agree to give yourself plenty of time on the way over in Atlanta. Who cares on the return.

Larry

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atlanta sucks because you have to recheck your bags and go through security again even if ATL is your final destination.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if ATL is your final destination, where are you checking your bags to?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I just flew it. On the way over it was 1.5 hours late. Flew coach and it was pretty good. On the way home, I left on time, I flew 1st class and it was fantastic flight. It even landed early. No bags lost for me or my cameraman. Much better than the pld way in my opinion. I will fly this route again next year...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atlanta sucks because you have to recheck your bags and go through security again even if ATL is your final destination.

That is funny. I guess he is thinkg of customs.