New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport control in Atlanta
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Noticed the last two trips coming back through Atlanta that the passport control seems to be evolving in a manner definitely not friendly to returning US folks. Upon getting paperwork from the kiosk you are directed to one of two lines. It appears that in both lines US citizens are mixed in with all nationalities. Thinking back a few years I am quite certain that the procedure before was to provide a separate line for returning citizens. Certainly we all get the need for increased scrutiny but would it not be more efficient to put those needing less oversight in a separate line? FWIW my take is that the 2.5 hours my agent has suggested for making a connection is pretty tight. Does anyone have insight as to why this change was made and what the justification was/is?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crane - I clear Customs at least five times a year in Atlanta. From the time I de-plane to the time I have collected my bags and walking out of Customs takes a little more than 15 minutes. I seldom wait more than 2 minutes in line. The new kiosk system is many times more efficient than before.

Two and a half hours is ample time unless you're carrying firearms - not sure how well that process is working today in Atlanta.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane;

Is this including the use of Global Entry?

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW - There is typically a longer line at Global Entry than at the Kiosk line...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never see a line at Global Entry.

The regular lines are out of control.

Posts: 11991 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I never see a line at Global Entry.

The regular lines are out of control.

I agree with Larry. 8-10 trips a year and love Global Entry. I just renewed mine as I was approaching the 5 year deadline.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through ATL twice so far this year, and there is no wait at the Kiosk line when arriving on Delta flight 201 at 6 am.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darin- No on Global Entry. My last couple of trips have seen huge lines once past the kiosks and many in line who were receiving time consuming scrutiny. Am I wrong about a US Citizen line not too long ago?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus-
Perhaps we were unlucky in our timing with other flights but we were on the 201 the last two years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not had a problem since they switched over the to the Kiosks two'ish years ago. Luck of timing I suppose...

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
2 1/2 hours at LAX last month....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I went through CBP coming back from Namibia at ORD last month, and I have the Trusted Traveler/ Global Entry card. I took about 5 minutes from kiosk to out the door.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I passed through yesterday morning about 5:30 am. I used GE and was 3rd in line after no wait at the kiosk. I did not pay attention to whether citizens and tourists were mixed using regular entry.

What was odd was that there were no agents checking luggage at customs.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am under the impression that a lot of the luggage checking is behind closed doors now. It is a little different each time. Guess I will have to make time for the Global Entry application.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Going through any airport is time dependent.

At certain times one just walks through, at others one has to wait hours.

This happens at all major airports.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Darin- No on Global Entry. My last couple of trips have seen huge lines once past the kiosks and many in line who were receiving time consuming scrutiny. Am I wrong about a US Citizen line not too long ago?

There definitely used to be a US Citizens line and a Non-Citizen line! What's up with that? It must be Politically Incorrect to have favoritism to US Citizens!

Regards, D. Nelson

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Every country should have a dedicated line for its citizens, and most countries do.

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus-
Quick question- What is your take on Air Namibia as of late? Have they got things working properly? Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air Nam is still having problems with their schedule. They seem to have lots of delays out of Windhoek. Not sure how well they are doing out of JNB, but I cannot imagine their service is any better out of SA.

I only use SAA for travel within Africa. Good service and dependable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hopeful that someone here on AR would be able to shed some light on the procedures at customs. I wonder if they rotate different line systems as a security precaution which is understandable. But not having a returning citizen line, as employed worldwide, seems a little much!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean customs or passport control? One has to go through both. There has never been separate lines at customs to the best of my recollection.

Posts: 11991 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Do you mean customs or passport control? One has to go through both. There has never been separate lines at customs to the best of my recollection.

I had a funny thing happen to me a few years ago here in Dubai at customs.

I arrived in the evening after a very long journey through several airports. I was unshaven, and looked a bit haggard.

I went through the green channel, when a young custom's officer approached me and very politely asked me to put my bag on the table to be inspected.

I said to him "I have been through several airports, in different countries, and no one bothered to stop me. Now I am home and I get stopped!"

He smiled and said "I am sorry sir, I did not realize you are citizen. Please go ahead."

He never asked to see my passport, but of course could tell from my accent that I was from here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was hopeful that someone here on AR would be able to shed some light on the procedures at customs. I wonder if they rotate different line systems as a security precaution which is understandable. But not having a returning citizen line, as employed worldwide, seems a little much!

There are two lines at ATL. One for US, one for everyone else. Don't get in the line for everyone else...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry- Passport control.
Opus- My paperwork out of the kiosk had a big "X" in the upper left hand corner and they firmly directed me to the line on the left side. There were a bunch of US passport holders in with me, all kind of wondering what happened. There were also foreign nationals in the line to the right. Go figure! A true cluster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was the burka?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Larry- Passport control.
Opus- My paperwork out of the kiosk had a big "X" in the upper left hand corner and they firmly directed me to the line on the left side. There were a bunch of US passport holders in with me, all kind of wondering what happened. There were also foreign nationals in the line to the right. Go figure! A true cluster.

Ive received the XXX before and that sucks.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My limited experience (three trips so far): if you arrive at 0 dark thirty you get through pretty quick. After 7 a.m. better allow 1-2 hours depending on how many drug "mules" the sniffing dogs pick up.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Sep, I had a two and 1/2 hour connection time for my flight to Denver. I was one of the first in line to get my rifle checked and I made it to my gate with only 15 minutes to spare.

Definitely more of a hassle than it was back in 2003.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote