New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexico?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Buddies want me to go along to Mexico for whitetails in early '24, I'm not the sort to go looking for trouble nor to run from it. Whom has been there northern part near Texas 100 miles from border lately? Safe enough?

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Could you be more specific in your location.

The Texas border with Mexico is quite long.

Some places you do not want to be near and other are quite safe.

Will you be renting a rifle or taking your own.

Will you be driving, flying or met at the border, walking across and picked up by your guide.

This all makes a difference.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sonora, taking a bow and rifle , flying met at airport then travel by car

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Sonora is south of Arizona and California.

There are some good areas that are safe. I have friends who go down there every year to hunt, they cross the border south of Tucson.

You should be safe traveling with your guide they know how to stay out of trouble areas.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Sonora is south of Arizona and California.

There are some good areas that are safe. I have friends who go down there every year to hunt, they cross the border south of Tucson.

You should be safe traveling with your guide they know how to stay out of trouble areas.

The more I think on it the more I think I'll keep my $$ in the USA...at the very least if I' be forced to shoot back I'll go to a US jail to await trial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your smart Doc, stay away from The Golden Triangle, especially on the Mexico side, It's a dangerous place. Hell it's got to the point it's dangerous on our side, you better be fully armed day or night.

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born a mile from the Rio. I won't set foot in Mexico these days.

Posts: 10357 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Buddies want me to go along to Mexico for whitetails in early '24, I'm not the sort to go looking for trouble nor to run from it. Whom has been there northern part near Texas 100 miles from border lately? Safe enough?

I just got back from Sonora this past January. I hunted Desert Mule Deer at a ranch outside of Hermosillo. We stayed at Hotel San Sebastian in Hermosillo - gated and very secure. Ate out in restaurants in town every night and never felt unsafe at all...

Had an incredible steak at Steack El Herradero and excellent Octopus at Mariscos Los Arbolitos de Cajeme

No issues at the border, no issues in town or at the ranch. I'm going back next January for sure!

We drove down from Tucson and entered at Nogales.

Shot a 190 class deer and almost a 200+ monster.. will post a hunt report when I have a chance..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I and a few friends hunted mid-January on Tiburon Island for the Sheldoni subspecies of mule deer. Flew into Hermosillo, spent the night at the Fiesta, drove to Kino Bay, then panga to the island. Never felt unsafe at all.

We’re now looking at hunting a mainland ranch with the same outfitter next January.

Posts: 3904 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I will be going to Mexico any time soon.

https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...sy/story?id=97648699

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mexico is gradually becoming a failed state, taken over by drug cartels…..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Four people were just Kidnapped after they Crossed The Border!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:

That looked like near Brownsville Texas, southern tip. Rough area.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:

I saw this as well. I have no desire to go there.

Until Mexico gets hit hard in their pocketbook (tourism), nothing will change.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I would have not crossed into Matamoros 40 years ago, much less now. Years ago when I worked in McAllen, I would cross all the time at: Progresso, Reynosa, Miguel Aleman, Nuevo Laredo, Piedras Negras, & Ciudad Acuna but not now. The only way in, is to fly.

Posts: 771 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The Mexican state of Tamaulipas(Matamoros) is under a State Department level 4 travel warning- the same as Afghanistan and Iraq. These idiots were going there for cosmetic surgery according to one of victims mother. That said, it reiterates my point. Mexico is fast becoming a narco/failed state. The Gulf cartel apparently has a number of internal factions/gangs battling for revenue…….. popcorn

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...nd/story?id=97681554

Two found dead, two are alive.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My nephew married a dual citizen from Mexico shortly after graduating from college. She ahd a large family in and around Colima Mx. She and my nephew opened several business and where doing fine with 4 children to take care of. Colima is a coastal town in southern Mx along the coast. About a year ago the drug cartels took over, business hit the bricks and fearing for their safety closed up shop and moved to the area around Vail Colorado. He states the climate in Colorado is hard to get use to but fear for safety is not part of the equation.
Recently I seen that the State Department discouraged travel to that area.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Despite legitimate concerns about safety in Mexico, risk is still relative to where one goes, how they get there and what they are doing. Anyone traveling overland through Tamaulipas is an absolute idiot. I wouldn’t go to Tamaulipas even with an armored vehicle, body armor and heavy automatic weapons.

If there is a strong U.S. response to this, I think the message could be heard not only in Tamaulipas, but all the way to Sinaloa. Of course, that’s probably an unrealistic expectation with this administration.

That said, I think there will be just as many deer hunters flying in to Hermosillo to hunt Buros and Cola Blanco’s come January as there ever have been. …And I’ll be one of them.

Posts: 3904 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Most likely our government will take action with all the national media attention from the past few days. Fentanyl deaths in America have gotten out of control.

Ask anyone that works on Capital Hill the amount of grass root lobbying organizations that come into Congressional and Senate offices. Think how motivated you would be if you lost a child to fentanyl. Parents want someone to blame and members of Congress will listen to their constituents on this issue. We will see new policy in the near future as well as cartels to be held accountable as terrorist organizations.

Several members of Congress have post like below on their pages.
https://murphy.house.gov/media...g-americans-covid-19

40,000 kids in the US have died from fentanyl just in the past three years! This will gain momentum and what ever bill is passed will get approved from both parties. I heard about a group of 15 year olds in Charlotte last week. They were smoking weed that had fentanyl and killed two of them.

I love hunting and fishing in Mexico and ready to go back but not until they stop killing Americans.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Democrats hands are tied. They get a Cut from The Cartels. Yesterday it was released that in 2021 600 U.S. Citizens have been Kidnapped in Mexico!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Only 600? Well, obviously it’s a safe place for gringos….. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capt. Purvis: It's not just kids and dopers this shit is killing. I have never smoked dope or taken illegal drugs in my life, am 79.

Three years ago I had a simple shoulder cuff surgery.
Had two before total bi-shoulder replacements, then I fell and tore it again after that.

In recovery laying there, the nurse started injecting something into the IV line at the foot of the bed.

I asked: "what are you shooting me up with?" "Fentanyl" "I can't take that shit"
"ha ha too late now ha ha!"

I hadn't woken up enough yet to think to just rip the fucking needle out. Wish I had. Turned out they'd given me 2.8cc in surgery before this too. This one doubled that according to the reports I got later.

When time came to get dressed and head home. I was so dizzy all I could do was lean against the bed and let the nurse dress me, then wheeled me to the car.

At home, I got out and nearly fell. I asked my (driver) cousin to come in and get the wheel chair as there was no way I could walk the 40 feet to the house.

A couple hours later after they had left me alone. I started having real shortness of breath, hyperventilating as I couldn't get air. This and the dizzyness lasted much of three weeks.

I wrote the dr that we needed to talk as I am allergic to so many meds, they need to discuss them ahead of time. I called to make sure he would see me in person at the two week follow up. His fine PA claimed he was not there. Even though I saw him while walking down the hall to the exam room. I told the PA then: "IF he fucked up like that with the meds and is now refusing to see me to talk it over. I need to find another doctor"

Two days later I rec'd an unsigned letter from the dr: "I will no longer treat you". Trying to make it official that he quit me rather than have my firing him on his records.

This was: Dr Rickland Likes ortho doc at Parkview Med center here in Pueblo CO.

Any comments?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
Most likely our government will take action with all the national media attention from the past few days. Fentanyl deaths in America have gotten out of control.

Ask anyone that works on Capital Hill the amount of grass root lobbying organizations that come into Congressional and Senate offices. Think how motivated you would be if you lost a child to fentanyl. Parents want someone to blame and members of Congress will listen to their constituents on this issue. We will see new policy in the near future as well as cartels to be held accountable as terrorist organizations.

40,000 kids in the US have died from fentanyl just in the past three years! This will gain momentum and what ever bill is passed will get approved from both parties. I heard about a group of 15 year olds in Charlotte last week. They were smoking weed that had fentanyl and killed two of them.

I love hunting and fishing in Mexico and ready to go back but not until they stop killing Americans.

The rumor mill here says it was a drug deal gone bad, not cosmetic surgery. If that's true the government will be slow to act and little or no follow up.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I recall this story growing up:

https://www.history.com/this-d...t-rancho-santa-elena

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...nd/story?id=97681554

Two found dead, two are alive.

Mexican cartel 'apologizes' in letter for kidnapping, murder of Americans, turns in members 'responsible'

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I recall this story growing up:

https://www.history.com/this-d...t-rancho-santa-elena

Like it was yesterday.

Posts: 771 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have to keep those tourist dollars coming. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1670 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/na...ell-clothes/3212065/

Three women missing after crossing border from Texas.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, Nope and Nope!

Posts: 10357 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I'll be fly fishing in Mexico with another AR member in May for baby tarpon. No worries. Looking forward to it. You can spend your time handwringing or you can spend your time living. I'll take the latter.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I don’t think I will be going to Mexico any time soon.

https://abcnews.go.com/Interna...sy/story?id=97648699

Agreed, no f'in way.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
My nephew married a dual citizen from Mexico shortly after graduating from college. She ahd a large family in and around Colima Mx. She and my nephew opened several business and where doing fine with 4 children to take care of. Colima is a coastal town in southern Mx along the coast. About a year ago the drug cartels took over, business hit the bricks and fearing for their safety closed up shop and moved to the area around Vail Colorado. He states the climate in Colorado is hard to get use to but fear for safety is not part of the equation.
Recently I seen that the State Department discouraged travel to that area.

Yeah, the libs in CO are a pain but you can shoot back there compared to MX.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:

Wow, talk about naive.