New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My next trip will be in April, and was wondering which company you would recomment (Global Rescue, Travel Guard, etc)for medical, medevac, etc.
We will be going to the eastern Cape.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Travel Guard will reluctantly give you their exclusions pages to their contract. You must ask for it. It is 32 pages! Yes, they will pay if they have to, but there's lots of "fine print" that details what they don't have to do. The "letter of the law" is enforce here.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but good things to say about Travel Guard, my wife broke her ankle in SA 2 years ago and required surgery in SA, Travel Guard paid for all hospital and surgical expenses, in a private hospital, paid for lost hunting days on my part, and paid for two first class tickets back to the states because she needed to keep her foot and ankle elevated. Granted, the hospital required payment up front (even your primary insurance probably won't help you with that...they won't accept it), but Travel Guard reimbursed us as soon as we filed the required paperwork. We had their "Grab and Go" policy primarily in case of lost luggage...but it also includes medical component.
It was the best $65.00 spent on that safari.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Global Rescue. Never had to use it thankfully but they seem to be well regarded in the industry for medical/medevac.

As far as I know Global Rescue does not provide trip insurance which reimburses you for airfares, hotels, daily safari rates, etc. if for some reason you can not make your trip.

Travel Guard does offer trip insurance but as Cal points out you would want to review the exclusion pages and you can basically forget about any reimbursement if it comes down to you changing your mind.

Review carefully the pre-existing condition clauses.

Have fun on your trip!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have always taken out medical insurance in going on any international trip, be it a hunt, a vacation or business related. I usually go with Global Rescue. In 2013 I had both Global Rescue and Travel Guard-I had already signed up for Global Rescue and Shawn at Gracy Travel recommended Travel Guard as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tracker 49

Travel Guard really stepped up when my client was hammered by a buffalo this last season. As soon as everything was in place they literally whisked him out of Bulawayo in the night and to RSA where he recovered enough to travel home economy class. They just handled everything. I was impressed. I just bought a policy from them for my personal safari next season.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
I hope I don't to use the services, but you never know. Last time I had a "close call" with a Warthog but she turned just before turning my legs into strips of jerky.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was marks client that was injured in zim in aug. travel guard paid for 2 mars flights, all of the hosp bills in bulawayo (4 days) and in joberg at mil park hosp (7 days). they also housed my wife at a b and b in joberg. they paid for all her trans to and from hosp. they paid for our last night at africa sky and flew us home business class even though we had only economy comfort seats. i cannot say enough good about them. remember us health ins doesnt work over there. be sure to take your own. dont leave home without travelguard.

One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had the misfortune to actually utilize the services of Global Rescue or Ripcord for medical or evacuation purposes?

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote