Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo in transit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I'm on my way to safari in Zimbabwe in September and intend to rent a gun from the outfitter.
However, I was planning on bringing ammo along.
I'm flying via Amsterdam, and looking at KLM's instructions they mostly seem to apply for firearms only.
Does anyone have experience in transporting ammo only in transit via Amsterdam with KLM?
It's a tad unclear to me if the consent form is needed. My guess is "yes".

Will the airline handle my baggage during transit, or do I need to fetch it from the baggage carousel myself, and then re-check it it on the connecting flight?

How about Kenya where the next stop is: what's the procedure there?
Is importing/transiting ammo a problem there; or even at all possible?
No layover, just a couple of hours' transit.

It's KLM all the way to Zim.
So will this pose another problem: I've been advised about the EU sanctions against Zim which makes it difficult to bring guns/ammo along. But if one only checks them to e.g. RSA (or in my case Kenya), then they can be taken on board from there. But flying one airline only all the way (although not directly) makes it fairly obvious where the ammo is going to end up.
See Shakari's advice about the Zim regulations.

I also presented these questions to the agent so let's see what we learn.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to ask the PH to buy the ammo for you, and have it ready there.

Saves lots of hassles for you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you check the ammo to Nairobbery, get off there, collect the ammo and then check in again, the airline would expect you take all your baggage off, clear it all through customs and security and then check it all in again........ pure hassle and also time might make that awkward for you.

The reason they'd expect you to do this is that international travel regulations forbid unaccompanied bags to travel unless they've been through additional security procedures. So if you get off, the bags also have to come off.

I'd recommend you take Saeed's advice and ask your outfitter to provide both rifle and ammo.