New
Find
Notify
Tools

JNB customs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m traveling to JNB soon and then connecting to Botswana the next day. It’s been few years since I’ve done this and I can’t recall whether I declared currency on my previous trips upon arrival in JNB. Some things I’ve seen online say that all currency needs to be declared. Others say that any thing under 25,000 Rand is excluded and others say that under 10,000 USD doesn’t need to be declared.

What’s the current procedure for declaring currency at JNB?

one of us
posted Hide Post
TEX84,

A travel agent that is Africa savvy can answer those questions with up to date info. What Joe did last year or last month is basically irrelevant.

Gracy Travel is always my first choice for all things Africa travel related.

Mark

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, that’s kind of the point of the forum. To hear what others have to say about their experience.

I did find this on the Revenue Service webpage:

Excess currency in terms of South African Reserve Bank (SARB), Exchange Control Regulation is any amount in excess of R25 000 or any foreign currency which is convertible to Rand in excess of R25 000. Travellers must obtain written permission from the SARB before entering or leaving South Africa with excess currency. Travellers may on voluntary basis declare currency in their possession through the online traveller declaration form or the manual Traveller Card (TC-01). The cash/ currency to be declared is South African bank notes as well foreign currency, securities and gold. For more information about Excess currency, see SC-PA-01-06 – Excess Currency – External Policy.

posted Hide Post
Today.

NOTE- South Africa has begun an online declaration requirement which includes declaring the money you will be bringing into South Africa along with your flight details. Gracy Travel is concerned about your safety and opening the doors for criminal activity. Although we can not advise you not to declare your cash, we recommend you consult with your outfitter on how to proceed.

NOTE- IMPORTANT- South Africa has now implemented an online Customs Declaration. Although the links says it is not mandatory "at this time" we had a client who was not allowed to board until they completed the form. Here is the link for you.
https://www.sars.gov.za/travellerdeclaration/

Formally Bwana1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I’ve seen says the online declaration is still in the pilot phase. I was planning to use the hard copy form.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I traveled through Joberg just a few weeks ago and found the online form to be easy and straightforward. Happy to chat and answer any questions.

I’ll second Mark’s comment, we used Patrick at PWP Travel and they were very helpful in all aspects of travel planning and document preparation. The guidance of a professional team means a great deal.

Posts: 150 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brec:
Today.

NOTE- South Africa has begun an online declaration requirement which includes declaring the money you will be bringing into South Africa along with your flight details. Gracy Travel is concerned about your safety and opening the doors for criminal activity. Although we can not advise you not to declare your cash, we recommend you consult with your outfitter on how to proceed.

NOTE- IMPORTANT- South Africa has now implemented an online Customs Declaration. Although the links says it is not mandatory "at this time" we had a client who was not allowed to board until they completed the form. Here is the link for you.
https://www.sars.gov.za/travellerdeclaration/

Yet another reason to use an Africa and gun savvy travel agent. Also your safari booking agent can handle all your safari payments allowing you to travel with and declare only your pocket money. We often handle the tips also.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I travel to SA at least twice a year. I never have declared my cash. Never been asked to.....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Same here… popcorn

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just came into SA thru Tambo. Nothing about cash declaration.

Formally Bwana1.