New
Find
Notify
Tools

new regs on 4457 forms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
went to customs yesterday to fill out 4457 for a couple guns. now you have to show ID to prove you are US citizen. seems as an agent approved a form for a illegal and the chit hit the fan. funny how you have to do it for the feds, and they are suing arizona for the same thing

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May be the Feds are starting to do their job for a change because of the Az case, eh. Maybe Confused will end, but I doubt that.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to do the same, show my ID in July to add a gun to a 4457 form. He checked the serial number, etc. There were signs all over the place to "not" bring in firearms. Signs said violaters of this would be prosecuted. When it became my turn at the window, I told they guy I needed to get a 4457 form and register a gun on it,,,he asked for my Id, then said bring the gun in and put it out there on the desk and wait for me there. I asked about the "prosecution" signs for bringing in a firearm and he said yep,,, I see the signs too. I thought I was being set up for a minute. Crazy,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dislike bureaucracy on general principles. That said, I can live with the ID on the 4457.
Our Customs Office at the airport in Boise is a 12x32 foot single wide. They are all hunters, and thought I had made their day when I volunteered to stick my Doubles together so they could shoulder and try them.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not new regs.

"Showing I.D." doesn't prove you are a U.S. citizen. Many non-citizens are qualified for a driver's license or other form of government identification.

Non-citizens traveling from the U.S. and returning to the U.S. must have a 4457 for any valuables they wish to take in and out in order to prove prior possession. The 4457 is for the purpose of establishing that valuables you are bringing into the country are the same ones that you took out so that you are not charged import duties. Showing I.D. only proves that you are the person who is filling out the 4457, and in your own name. If a customs agent has failed to establish positive identification for someone filling out a 4457 at any time in the past, then they have violated their own procedures.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem showing my ID I did in Tulsa in Feb. the guy looked at it said ok wrote the serial # of my guns on the form then asked where I was going and stood and talked to me for 30 mins about hunting and fishing. He was very interested about what it took and how to talk to about booking a hunt. I gladly gave him some contact info I had with me and emailed him more when I got home. Just because he works for the govment dont make automatically make him an ass

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant speak for anywhere else but we had to show ID 10 years ago here. They have been doing it for awhile. Who knows if all the offices were or are consistant.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I was just in the Customs office here at Phoenix Sky Harbor two weeks ago getting my 4457's for our bows. They did not ask for any ID of any kind. I just got a couple smart ass remarks from a female agent about the need to go to foreign countries to kill animals.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to show ID last fall and again last April. I handed them my ID and they came back 10 minutes later to do the paperwork. I suspect they are checking for warrants.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
They took my ID and ran my background while I sat in a chair. Did I mention they then screwed up the form twice. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
WE put our guns on the form this week at the airport, the guy never looked at our guns, cases, passports, ID's, nothing. He did ask where we're going and seemed like he was interested in our upcoming adventure. Gave us the forms and we filled them out, then he embossed them and we were on our way. About 10 minutes total.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit
They must have thought you over ran the Mexican border and stopped running when you reached Alaska.
Cant use racial profiling so you fit in.
HA HA
Be there in Anchorage Saturday
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I had my 4457's signed yeasterday. The CBP office didn't ask for ID, but she did forget to sign them. When I told her about the forgotten signiture, she said it was not needed, but then signed it anyways.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote