THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Using Airline Miles for travel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Airline Miles for travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went on my first trip to Zim last fall, and as many on this site predicted I was planning my next trip on the flight home. I have a daughter getting married this spring, so it looks like 2013 for the next trip. Flew the last time in Delta "comfort coach", but want to upgrade next time. I have been an American flyer for years, and have over 700K miles, and got a Delta Miles AE card last spring, since Delta flies more to Africa. Any tips on using miles to get there?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just got one of those cards as well. Good question Dr. J. Theres a few answers if you try the search function but they are a little dated. Id like to know myself

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Business class on Delta will run from 250k to 380k for a round trip to jburg depending on how far out you book and what time of year you want to go.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've done it several times and have found that it is best to book as early as possible if you are going to try and get business class (like 330 days out). Delta only releases a very few of these seats in business class (of course they might release more as the flight date gets closer, depending on demand, I've been told). We book pretty much as soon as we can.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2772 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just booked Delta from San Antonio to J'burg for 150k miles, and paid for the comfort class upgrade. No problems.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 300,000 Delta miles in th bank and close to a million miles with them over the years. I could not get squat from them on a Minneapolis to JoBurg flite in July.
Ended up buying coach and they gave me the comfort class.
They said I might be able to upgrade for miles if more seats are released.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The earliest that I've been able to book on United is 11 months before the date I wanted to fly. I just book on their website.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I my experience, the sales agents on the phone have quite a bit of lattitude...The ideal is to find one who's bright & bored...they'll go the extra mile (no pun intended) to find what you want...keep calling til you get that guy or girl!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
joester hit the nail on the head. Persistence, and a pleasant attitude pays off when trying to get the good seats for miles.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2772 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Just booked Delta today for August business class 380K points.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We used Delta miles on our trip over in 2010.

It cost us 220,000 miles each for Business class round trip to Joburg.

The interesting part is I was coming from Colorado and my buddy lives in the Atlanta area. Therefore, I had additional First class flights to get me to/from ATL; however, the number of miles were the same for each of us even though my buddy was just going to/from ATL.

We booked the earliest day we could, which was about 10-11 months out.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote