THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Firearms/Ammo Transport via Delta

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms/Ammo Transport via Delta
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted
Ok, I'm new here and have found a wealth of information over the last several months from everyone. But my question is can I transport my factory ammo in the same TSA locked hard case as my rifle if I fly Delta into J'berg? Yes I have looked at Delta's website and TSA's website, neither state that I can't. However I have seen mixed comments on here some say yes, some say no. So what is the correct answer? Or is it up to SAPS regulations that say I can't?
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I have looked at Delta's website and TSA's website, neither state that I can't.

More accurately, both state that you CAN. The outbound portion of the trip is not in question. You will be clearly within the regulations if you pack your ammunition in your locked gun case.

The question is, how will S.A. authorities view the same arrangement when you depart? I'm sure that some here will have had personal experiences which they can relate.

This is among the reasons that I chose to hunt Namibia instead of S.A. The authorities there are more straight-forward and seem to appreciate all hunters and visitors. No last-minute surprises with a new interpretation of unwritten rules.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
As regards South Africa, ammunition cannot be packed with the firearms.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last sept. they made us transfer our ammo from baggage into the rifle case in joberg so they could inspect it. then didn't even look

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek is right. There is conflicting information about the way to pack ammo on Delta's website. One of our travel partners has always gone through Joberg on his previous African hunts and told us to keep any ammo out of the case with the guns. We could not have wedged it in there if we wanted to anyways.

We watched very carefully the whole way over and back and not one person ever visually opened the case with the guns to check and make sure the ammo was packed separately. I know that the guncase was X-rayed but it wasn't opened. We were asked in Atlanta going over if the guns were "unloaded" and again by Air Namibia in Windhoek coming home but they took our word for it and sent us on our way.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There was a time that SAA required that ammo be packed with the guns. That changed and currently ammo is not supposed to be packed with the guns. The airline probably wouldn't find out how it was packed but when you open your gun case for SAP inspection they may object to ammo being in the gun case.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In June of 2007 flying Delta from Atl to Joberg ammo in the guncase on the way back ammo in checked luggage NOT in gun case. Go figure???

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I just got back from RSA... Here's what went down.

Flying from Baltimore to Jburg, I had my ammo in the bottom of my duffle, 2 factory ammo boxes for each rifle. The lady at the ticket counter asked me 3 times if my bag was locked, and infered that it should be... I knew better, bag went on the plane and no one cared, I didn't mention to the SAPS when I got in about having ammo and they never asked.

I flew out of Durban on SAA and connected with Delta in Jburg. Luckily I knew that that SAA had changed thier regulations recently and required that the ammo be locked up. I purchased a small cash box and put it in my duffle... that didnt' fly, and about an hour later they decided that I could check my duffle but the ammo box would have to fly seperatly... Everything arived in Jburg no problems at all.

For the last leg I put the locked ammo box in my duffle and everything was fine.

Seems like there isn't a single person that understands the ammo/rifle rules anymore, and everyone is affraid to make a decission.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ivan. My cash box has made two trips to RSA/Namibia now and no one has complained about that method of ammo shipment at all. The extra space in the box is used for cartridge carriers and fragile items.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote