THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Best Current Flights Houston to Dar

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Current Flights Houston to Dar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always flown KLM from Houston to Amsterdam, on to either Arusha or Dar, depending. Aside from the Dutch firearms permit it was pretty easy and never had a problem. Need to go to Dar late August.

But in this post-COVID world, I'm reluctant to try to transit through Amsterdam. Any other good options? I'm going to call Steve Turner next week to solidify reservations, but wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations and advice.

I'm considering Emirates or Quatar based on other recommendations. Any issues with firearms there? Special permits like Amsterdam?

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Turkish

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I’m flying Qatar SFO to DAR in October. About an 8 hour layover in Doha each way, only stop between the points so it seemed like an easy choice. From what I’ve read so far, Qatar seems pretty simple and straightforward on firearms.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m flying Qatar SFO to DAR in October. About an 8 hour layover in Doha each way, only stop between the points so it seemed like an easy choice. From what I’ve read so far, Qatar seems pretty simple and straightforward on firearms.

Tried and true on travel and firearms. Doha (Hamad) has a lot of shops and good eating places. The Oryx Airport Hotel is nice and quiet.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I went through AMS in March to Uganda, no problems. But I am flying Qatar to Dar in Oct because I got a crazy good rate on Biz class.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with my buddy who is leaving on Qatar this Friday- they are NOT very efficient with firearms travel and have been known to take 2+ hours to get past the ticket counter. Plan accordingly.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Turkish airlines flies to Dar with a change of planes in Istanbul.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . Qsuite.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for all the comments and thoughts. I'm going with the familiar. KLM -- IAH to Amsterdam to Kilimanjiro/Arusha to Dar es Salaam and charters thereafter.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Last 10 days two clients from the US to Dar flew on Emirates.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67021 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
We have a group trip, including mjines, bwanajay, and els from AR headed to Dar in October and then on to the Selous. Looked at KLM, Turkish and Qatar. Emirates was not showing any flights out of Houston then to Tanzania in October.

Cheapest for business class was Turkish but tight connections and bad arrival time, we got into Dar at 4 am! No go. KLM was the most expensive so the group of 5 settled on Qatar. Relatively inexpensive for BC and downright cheap for coach, those prices are beginning to jump back to pre-COVID levels. We are arriving a day early to hang out at the Sea Cliff. Tim Herald joins us the next day and we charter into camp. Should be smooth sailing...

Bwanajay and I leave for Botswana Saturday, Qatar from Houston to Jo'burg then SAA Airlink to Maun. Kind of a hassle right now... COVID tests, RSA paperwork to be completed 2 days before arrival but this is the state of international travel today. I would recommend avoiding RSA at all costs unless you have to travel there... just my $.02 worth.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are booked on Emirates late September, coming back late October??

With others in our party heading to the US afterwards.

Posts: 67021 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
But not to IAH - Houston according to TWG...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
But not to IAH - Houston according to TWG...

Emirates has reduced their flights to all destinations.

A friend last week flew to Dubai on his way to Dar from Dallas.

On his return he flies back to Houston.

I think they have 3 flights a week to both destinations, but not at the same day.

The same for Dar.

They had at least one flight a day to Dar.

Now they are flying 3 times a week

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Bottom line- QA is consistently cheaper to Southern Africa and TZ than Emirates,especially in BC. I have flown both numerous times and they are equal in terms of level of service.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Bottom line- QA is consistently cheaper to Southern Africa and TZ than Emirates,especially in BC. I have flown both numerous times and they are equal in terms of level of service.....

I am very happy someone is providing good services like Emirates.

I have given up on American and European airlines doing anything positive for passengers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown Emirates and QA recently, both were top notch. I am looking forward to flying QA with Bwanamrm to Bots on Saturday.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

We have a group trip, including mjines, bwanajay, and els from AR headed to Dar in October and then on to the Selous. ..

Damn, and you didn't let me know that you were planning this trip?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sorry Frank... definitely reach out regarding the next group adventure!

- Rudyard Kipling