Find
Notify
Tools

TAAG Angola and firearms?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
I'm going to Namibia to hunt in August. At the moment the best flights use TAAG and with a stop and plane change in Luango. Has anyone flown TAAG and what are the problems, if any, with firearms and ammo. Their website seems normal precautions are all that is required. Websites and reality are sometimes vastly different......Thanks Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAAG is the Angola national airline. I've used them several times but never with a firearm. Since no one is flying in and out of Angola with guns, I would be a little wary of how they will deal with it. They might not care at all but might also give you hassle, since they don't deal with them regularly. Quite a few expats in Angola avoid TAAG, but the flights I took were ok. I have had a problem before with the flight schedules they show online not being updated so I would call and confirm the actual time and date instead of relying on their online system. I have also had them change a flight to another day and not bother to notify me of the change. I just happened to find out when I called to reconfirm my reservation. They were banned from flying to Europe for several years because of safety issues, but that has been lifted. All in all, I can't give you a great recommendation but you can give them a try and hope for the best!

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas & Kuwait | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tapper2: Please describe what you mean by "best flights". Is this in terms of time, price, or both? An alternate route to Windhoek that doesn't take you through JNB or require a half-day layover in FRA is very appealing.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Tapper2: Please describe what you mean by "best flights". Is this in terms of time, price, or both? An alternate route to Windhoek that doesn't take you through JNB or require a half-day layover in FRA is very appealing.

I like the idea of having to spend the 12 hours in Paris. It's also the least expensive from Chicago. I'm not going to use them if they have a problem transporting our guns.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mymur:
All in all, I can't give you a great recommendation but you can give them a try and hope for the best!

I need to know about their fillings toward firearms. Mymur, since you are there could you talk to them and ask what is required? If they don't have a problem with firearms properly packaged they will get a lot more business. Me for one, and my friends.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, wish I could help but I'm no longer living in Luanda, just haven't changed my profile. They do have an English speaking help line you can call. I just can't guarantee what you're told on the phone will be what you experience at the airport.

Angola is not a model of efficiency and consistency, I would be a little hesitant to trust them with my guns. You might be just fine, but I would make sure your outfitter has some loaner rifles you could use if things go bad.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Mymur, thank you for your thoughts. I don't want to take any needless chances. It wouldn't save enough time and money. I am taking your advice and not going thru Angola.......Thanks, Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that's a wise choice. Have a great trip.