New
Find
Notify
Tools

United to Johannesburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let me start by saying I live in the Atlanta area and flying Delta straight to Johannesburg is by far the easiest route to travel. But, a few years ago I was able to take this trip on a first class ticket in Delta One with the lay down seats. Having traveled this way on such a long flight I’ll definitely try to fly that way from now on. If you’ve never flown in first class on an international flight, my advice is DON’T!! It will spoil you completely and you will be never want to go coach again.

Earlier this year I booked a hunt in Zimbabwe and I’m here now on day 1 of the safari. While shopping around for flights to get here I found a straight flight from Newark, NJ to Jo’Berg at a fraction of the cost of flying Delta. Now, to be clear, my reservation “started” in Newark. I did buy a separate round trip ticket from Atlanta to get to Newark that cost about $300. Had I started my international reservation in Atlanta, the cost was actually more than Delta One.

I was able to get my baggage checked all the way through to Jo’Berg from Atlanta even though I had two separate reservations.

Other than an hour delay to wait on “food catering” to stock the plane, the flight was about as good as Delta. I do think the seats might be an inch or two more narrow but a lie down seat on a 15 hour flight that costs just slightly more than a coach ticket is well worth the money spent IMO.

Now, if you are a total price shopper, look at United’s coach tickets as they are ridiculously inexpensive.

I much prefer to fly Delta, but for the money, I find this hard to beat.

Unlike the other post that referenced United, I didn’t have any issues. I return home in a few weeks so I will update the return leg on another post.

Posts: 59 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a good experience on United as well. No complaints from takeoff in Chicago all the way back.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I flew United Anchorage to Jo'burg and return twice this past summer. No problems at all with United, low fares, good food, and I returned twice with a third bag and was not charged extra.

I'm sure you all have seen the multi gun rack offerd for sale here in the US--kind of a British style--for $1000-1200. I bought one each trip and returned with it for no extra bag charge. The cost in SA? $250! Contact Uvami Gun Accessories.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote