New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel Question To Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I may never get to Namibia to hunt, but I can dream.

Question:
It looks like Atlanta has the most airlines to get you to Namibia. I live in Memphis, Tennessee and can get a flight to Atlanta many times during the day. To avoid two luggage transfer, would it be better to drive to Atlanta--6 hours from Memphis-- or take a chance and fly all the way? The drive is not a problem because I'm retired and my wife and I drive thru Atlanta on our way to Disney World twice a year.
Thanks for any info.

Mauser K98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So long as you fly from Memphis to Atlanta on the same airline as you will fly trans-Atlantic (likley Delta in your case), you are just as well off boarding in Memphis. Your bags will be checked all the way through to Africa, anyway.

To repeat what has been mentioned numerous times before here, the route through Frankfurt (or London Gatwick) connecting with Air Namibia to Windhoek is superior to going through Johannesburg. You'll have to overnight in Johannesburg if you go that route, which is both expensive and involves red tape if you are traveling with guns.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Atlanta closer than Houston to Memphis?
IAH to Frankfurt to Windhoek...Lufthansa has carrythrough.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Atlanta, like LAX, is an International hub. If I was close, I would drive rather than fly the short distance & have to transfer guns again. The fewere connections the better IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
So long as you fly from Memphis to Atlanta on the same airline as you will fly trans-Atlantic (likley Delta in your case), you are just as well off boarding in Memphis. Your bags will be checked all the way through to Africa, anyway.

To repeat what has been mentioned numerous times before here, the route through Frankfurt (or London Gatwick) connecting with Air Namibia to Windhoek is superior to going through Johannesburg. You'll have to overnight in Johannesburg if you go that route, which is both expensive and involves red tape if you are traveling with guns.

I agree with Stonecreek...

This is the way to go for reasons aforementioned...Its much less hassle and way easier...The regulars have been doing it like tis for a reason and I've trusted their opinions and came out on top...I went from Honolulu-LAX-Chicago-Frankfurt-Windhoek...

Returned Windhoek-Frankfurt-LAX-Honolulu...

Baggage agreements were had all the way through both ways...

I went with Susan @ Gracey Travel and she set me up real good...They were experts IMO... and saved me $500 each on my son's and my ticket...We took that extra leg to Chicago and it wasn't a problem at all...It was worth the $1000 I saved and I was able to NAIL another Kudu Bull for the little 1 1/2 hr stop that helped break up a rather long flight with a stretch and something to eat! Wink

Just my 2 cents...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everone for all the helpful information.

RVL III,

I looked at going out of Houston, but it's a 10 hour drive from Memphis.

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One advantage of flying via Houston, Houston is gun friendly.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
One advantage of flying via Houston, Houston is gun friendly.

American "Cities" or "Airports" tend to be neither friendly nor unfriendly toward any particular type of traveler. The "friendliness" depends on the personnel who are running the place. Individuals employees of both the airlines and of TSA can and do vary in how well they know and do their jobs. It is usually the luck of the draw as to whether you are served well and efficiently. The quality of the supervisory personnel at a particular location does impact your chances of being well-served. Poor supervision is usually reflected in the performance of the workforce. Good supervisors and personnel are "friendly" to all forms of travelers by knowing the rules and enforcing them consistently and applying them in a practical way. The rules say you can take firearms with you on your airplane trip, and they specify how you may do it. "Gun friendly" airports have personnel whose personal views of hunting and guns has nothing to do with how they do their job -- when they do their job professionally they seem to be "gun friendly".

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Fly to Atlanta. A six hour drive to Atlanta might be a breeze on your way to Namibia, but a six hour drive back to Memphis after traveling back from Namibia is going to be one hell of a grind.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote