THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Connecting flights through JNB

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connecting flights through JNB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear Guy's

If on a connecting flight From JNB to Zimbabwe do you need to go through the process of importing your rifle into RSA?

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
When I hunted with Simon, I checked my rifles all the way through to Harare, Zimbabwe. Bypassed the whole SAPS process in Joberg. But I didn't overnight in Joberg either. It may be a different process if you overnight. If you do though, Afton Guest House can handle it for you.
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Rick

Thanks

I would have thought passing through you did not need to go through all the RSA stuff.

We do not intend to over night in RSA. Straight to Zim then into it.

Regards Mark

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I have flown straight through on to Harare a couple of times and never had to deal with the RSA stuff. My flight from Dulles gets me in about 4 hours before my flight leaves for Harare, and all I have had to do is go through the SAA desk to get my plane ticket for JNB to Harare and be on my way. I plan to do the same this year.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
I have flown straight through on to Harare a couple of times and never had to deal with the RSA stuff. My flight from Dulles gets me in about 4 hours before my flight leaves for Harare, and all I have had to do is go through the SAA desk to get my plane ticket for JNB to Harare and be on my way. I plan to do the same this year.

That's exactly what we did. It worked very well, with the exception of 2 bags not making the connection.

Mark, you need to check if your AUS airline code shares with the airline taking you from JNB to HRE. If they do, you can check your bags all the way through to Harare.

BTW, bag pilferage at JNB is out of control. Lock up everything you cannot live without.

Best of luck on your trip

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Jack gave you some excellent advise about making sure that your carrier from AUS will transfer your luggage to the carrier doing you RSA-Zim flight.

I prefer and advise clients receive their luggage in JNB and physically transfer their luggage to the flight to Zim. It is a pain to go through the SAPS procedure but at least you'll know your guns and bags got checked in on the Zim flight and if they don't arrive in Zim you'll have a heck of a lot better idea where your luggage is.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I checked my bags all the way through from San Diego to Mozambique (with stops in Chicago and Germany) with no problems. My logic was if you show up in JNB and your bags aren't there, you're still not going to have them when you get to Zim (or Mozambique in my case), so why stress yourself out in JNB. My travel agent did request that I text her the code on the baggage tags so she could track the bags if need be and I made sure the airport code for my final destination was what was reflected on the top of my luggage tags.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Guy's

Thanks for the advice.

We are going with South African Airways from Perth to Harare.

So checking though should be no issue.

Thanks very much Mark

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mark,'
Be careful with transfer through WA as the flight to Perth is a Domestic flight then you leave the terminal to go over to International (often only one hour to do this).
Then you are in WA without a WA firearms permit!
You may not have a problem but from the little I have seen, WA is one of the last places I will transfer through.

I would also recommend a night in RSA to minimise the chance of Rifles "delayed".

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote