THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Layover in London Gatwick with Firearms

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Layover in London Gatwick with Firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Researching airfare and routes for our second trip to Namibia in Aug. Found flight from US to London Gatwick with direct flights from Gatwick to Windhoek on Air Namibia (no airport changes)

Questions for anyone with experience with guns through the UK.

1. US airline rep said no problem checking guns and bags all the way through to Namibia and don't have to claim them in UK, but if we wanted to stay a little longer (less than 48 hours) will UK customs or the airlines hold the bags and guns that long.

2. Has anyone flown on Air Namibia and was it good/bad experience (relative to current US flagged carriers)

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew Toronto-HEathrow-Joburg and back in 2007 with no issues on the guns checked all the way through, but we only had a 12 hour layover.

If longer apparently you need a gun broker to hold your firearms. Saeed gave me the name of a company there at the time.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
m3taco,

You might get more responses if you post this on the European Forum incliding a few recommendations for gun brokers.

If you do need to use a gun broker, they are bloody expensive for what the do and when you take into account their charges, other routes might start looking very competative.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
m3taco,
as too regards of point 2, i never flown any US carrier, but have flown most European air lines and Air Namibia, in some cases, it iis far better.
Roberto

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I did the 15 hour layover with United and Air Namibia and there were no issues at all with checking my guns straight through. I don't know how it would be handled if you had a multi-day layover there but I'm sure Kathy Klimes could find that information for you.

Air Namibia was great, with better service than most if not all US carriers. Even in coach they served wine with dinner and other free alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The plane was in great condition and very clean. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
As to Air Namibia, I can't be quite as kind to them as Frank, they were OK. Service was decent but not outstanding, food OK. The Airbus was not new, and it was an Airbus with the normal "solid" seats and plenty of creaks and rattles. We were on the Frankfurt to Windhoek route.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
We did that last year - if you have the all day layover - your bags just check through. I think where the issue is, is if you switch airports, or if you stayed overnight, etc.

We flew Delta and then Air Namibia...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m3taco

As long as your USA to UK carrier has a baggage transfer agreement with Namibian Air you can check your bags straight through with no problem. If you have an extended layover as in overnight you will need to enlist the services of gun courier. He will meet you as you arrive from the US and assist with gun clearance, baggage and take possession of your guns. If you desire he will take you into London and drop you at your hotel of choice. He also will pick you up on the return, take you to Gatwick and assist with check in. Depending on the courier he may be able to assist with several tourist activities as well. I can recommend a reliable courier if you'd like.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All:

Thanks for the responses so far and the info. Just to add a little clarification.

This will be my second trip to Namibia. First was May 08 and was with SAA via J’berg. Not a satisfactory experience. ALL checked bags AND guns didn’t make it until 3 days AFTER we did, but at lease they finally made it. Had a couple of hundred bucks worth of personal items and gifts we were going to give to the PH and his wife stolen. Notified SAA immediately, and at the AL in Windhoek when checking in for our return flight. Was told to file a claim in J’berg between flights. Was told in J’berg to file with the US office once we got home. Multiple phone calls, emails and re-submissions of claims and NOTHING back from SAA. Vowed I would NEVER fly SAA or via J’berg again.

Next info is that what I have been able to find currently, even going through J’berg leaves a 15hr lay-over there. So…if I have a choice of a London or J’berg and SAA, I think I’ll try London and Air Namibia.

I already know I’ll have the 15hr lay-over at Gatwick (no airport change to Heathrow) but was wondering if I wanted to make it say an extra day by skipping that first nights flight getting into London a day earlier could I do that – that is why I originally posted about staying less then 48hrs.

Again – appreciate all the responses so far……been on the Gatwick web site trying to find contact info for terminal security/customs with any luck. Anybody happen to have that info?

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the Air Namibia connection in Frankfurt. Either this route or Gatwick is far preferable to overnighting in Johannesburg. Can't help you with how to handle guns for a layover in London, but I'll be interested in the answer because I'd like to do this next trip. My understanding that for multi-day layovers in Frankfurt you can simply leave the guns "in bond" with the airport authorities (customs?). Several here have done it and can chime in with details.

I felt that Air Namibia's service was neither better nor worse than average. The seats in all Airbus aircraft seem to be made of plain old plywood covered with one layer of cloth. Take along something to pad your arse. Everything we took got there, and only a video camera disappeared from the luggage on the way back.

Incidentally, I'm told that the "best" service and connections to Windhoek are through Munich on LTU. However, my understanding is that LTU does not carry firearms Mad

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Check with Kathi at Wild travel. She arranges for a gun courier for me back in November of 2007. I flew into Gatwick, overnighted for some family business and tehn flew out the next day from Heathrow. Not cheap, but the guys were prompt and all of the paperwork/hassles were taken care of. I would use them again in the same situation.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote