THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Packing ammo thru South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing ammo thru South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
I've received a few inquiries about how I packed my ammunition for my trip (March 2008) from the USA to Namibia via South Africa. Here's how I did it.

1. Leave ammunition in boxes labeled for that particular cartridge. Pack only as much ammo as you need for the hunt and no more than the maximum allowable by the country. Put the ammo and other security-concern items such as knives into a lockable hard ammo carrier.

2. Lock the case with a TSA lock. I use combination locks so that I don't have to fumble for keys.

3. Put the locked ammo box into your check-in luggage.

4. Lock the check-in luggage with a TSA lock.

That's it.

They will ask you at your original point of departure if you have any ammunition and where it is packed and how much ammunition you are packing. Remember, there is a maximum number of cartridges allowable and maximum weight allowable for your ammo.

Hope this helps.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Thanks for posting this, I'll follow this for my maiden African adventure in May.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter,

Your plan sounds good. What is the brand/model of lockable ammo case that you used and where did you get it? thanks.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's fine to carry some of your ammunition this way, but in addition I would recommend carrying a reasonable supply inside your locked gun case. TSA and airline regulations clearly state that transporting ammunition in the same container as the guns is permissable. This way, if something happens to your checked bag, but your gun does arrive, you still have ammunition for your hunt.

Soft-side luggage, even if secured with a zipper lock, is easily defeated by theives, and they will assuredly take anything in a locked box out of it as their first choice. So, to guard against this threat or to hedge against lost luggage, carrying ammunition inside your gun case is a good practice.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there something about SAA making you put your ammo in the gun case?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Copied from South African Airways FAQ

1. SAA CARRIAGE OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

Domestic (within and from the Republic of South Africa)

Departure (Inclusive of International departures)

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and may be packed within checked luggage, but must be properly secured in an ammunition case or solid box. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases, which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but if I were you I'd pack my ammo in a separate lockable box and not packed with the firearms, as per SAA regs.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramhunter

Your plan sounds good. What is the brand/model of lockable ammo case that you used and where did you get it? thanks.

The ammo box is made by Plano and can be bought at most large outdoor stores that sell firearms and ammo.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
namibiahunter, do you remember where you bought that nice little ammo carrier?
Thanks

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
joedjr:

I either bought the ammo carrier at a Sportsmans Warehouse or Fishermans Warehouse in Portland, Oregon, but I'm pretty sure you can pick the same thing up at Cabela's, Gander Mtn, BassPro, or any big outdoor sporting goods store that guns, ammo, and reloading equipment.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my problem

I will be taking only one rifle in a TuffPack.
We will only have our carryon"s and this gun case. Am I going to have to have another checked bag just for my ammo?
I was planning on putting my ammo in a locked box and put it in the TuffPack. We will be flying a commuter to DC then SAA.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Septrmber 2007, when returning from SA through Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg then back to the USA, we were not permitted to place our ammunition in our checked luggage nor in our gun cases. We were informed at the check-in counter at Port Elizabeth that our ammunition had to be in a sepperate locked container. Our PH appealed the decision to the local police authority at the airport but was told there had been a change in air carrier regulation from the time we arrived 14 days earlier. Prior to this we had always packed our ammo in with our checked luggage. Not having a seperate locked case we ended up leaving over 80 rounds with the PH.

However, this did give us an excuse to return to SA in 2008.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ehg5640:
Last Septrmber 2007, when returning from SA through Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg then back to the USA, we were not permitted to place our ammunition in our checked luggage nor in our gun cases. We were informed at the check-in counter at Port Elizabeth that our ammunition had to be in a sepperate locked container. Our PH appealed the decision to the local police authority at the airport but was told there had been a change in air carrier regulation from the time we arrived 14 days earlier. Prior to this we had always packed our ammo in with our checked luggage. Not having a seperate locked case we ended up leaving over 80 rounds with the PH.

However, this did give us an excuse to return to SA in 2008.

That was what I heard. On Gracy Travel Website under news go to SAA Airport Operations and is says that Ammo must be in Gun Case or seperate bag but not in other checked bags, Gracy Travel I guess you need to be ready for anything

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
The following is text just copied from the SAA web site:

Firearms may NOT be packed inside checked luggage and must therefore be packed in an appropriate lockable firearm container or case, separate from checked luggage.

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and may be packed within checked luggage, but must be properly secured in an ammunition case or solid box. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases, which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

All firearms and ammunition must be declared to the airline check-in agent at the time of check-in. Undeclared firearms and ammunition within checked luggage will result in such baggage being rejected during mandatory checked baggage screening, and will result in the passenger being required to open such baggage for further inspection and safe handling, or the confiscation of such items for further processing and forwarding on a subsequent flight."

As I read this I believe it says that ammo can be placed in a checked bag when packed in a smaller locked case.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yet another good reason (as if more were needed) to avoid flying SAA if at all possible.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA has changed their policy for flights internally in South Africa, went through a whole story last week when clients were flying to Port Elizabeth. Previously ammo had to be put into checked in luggage, they now want ammo to be in a seperate lockable carrier that will be checked in with the ammunition, it will also be given a tag with a security check on it. Make sure that you inform the airline what your plans are as SAA change policies as often as we do underwear.

It is a good idea to contact the airline locally and find out what they require as they do not keep websites up to date with their policy changes.

Ammunition in the locable tuff pack is not a good idea at all, they will want it to be seperate and think how many rifles would go missing if the ammo was included in the tuff pack.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a PAC ele hunt in Zim. Flew Dulles/Joberg/Harare and returned the same way via SAA. I put my ammo in a separate bag inside my checked bag and had no problems or even questions from SAA. I didn't overnight in RSA so my bags were checked right through to my final destination bothways.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458Aubs:

This is exactly what happened to us in September of 2007. At the airport in Port Elizabeth as we were reurning to Johannesburg on our way home to the USA, we were notified of this change. Not having a seperate lockable box or case we were not able to bring our ammunition with us but had to leave it in SA. Our Ph even went to the "airport police" to plead our case. He was informed the policy had recently been changed.

However, I do know of others who have had thier ammo in checked baggage since then and had no trouble.

We have a trip planned this August/September. Have no idea what to expect???

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I do know of others who have had thier ammo in checked baggage since then and had no trouble.

We have a trip planned this August/September. Have no idea what to expect???

Ehg5640, drop me a mail with your details and I will get onto it for you to clarify things up a bit.

When we were told of the change i the went down stairs and bought a vanity bag, threw the contents away and then put the ammo in it with a good lock. I now have a very capable chap from the firearms division at the airport who looks after all my clients firearms, he even goes as far as phoning me to keep me informed of where the firearms and ammunition are. Costs a little but it is well worth it.

The problem with SAA as with all government run companies is the lack of information flow throught the system, I had about three diferent versions and when I produced their own company policies I was told that it had changed.

TIA

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Packing ammo as I did in the first post of this thread was in anticipation of changes that may occur, even at the last minute, in airline policies.

1. ammo properly secured in ammo case or solid box - pack as shown above.

2. ammo in separate locked box not in checked luggage or gun case - take the ammo case out and put on a non-TSA lock and check the case in separately.

3. ammo in gun case - take the ammo still in boxes (no loose ammo) out of the ammo case and put it in with the firearms and keep the ammo case back in the checked luggage for future policy changes

Go with the flow. TIA - this is Africa.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter:

From my experiences, I agree with your three conclusions on how to handle ammunition during air travel,ie SAA. However, I have not been able to locate a lockable case that I am comfortable with as you suggest in recommendation number 2. I have one of the $24,95 pistol/ammo cases from Cabelas and would not trust the locking system if I had to ship it seperately outsde of my checked luggage.

Can you or anyone else suggest a "case" to meet this situation, and still be small enough to go in your checked luggage if necessary.?

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Check out the smaller sized Pelican cases. A little pricey but affordable. I ordered one and it's great but wish I had ordered the next larger size to hold knife or Leatherman tool, etc along with the ammo.

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450: Thank you will do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the most recent word from Gracy Travel.

1. Ammo needs to be in orignal packaging or in a lockable container design for ammo, but container must be able to be locked, and goes in your clothing bag. The luggage bag needs to be locked.

2. Weight limit for ammo is 5kg per person.

3. Ammo can be carried in a seperate container designed for ammo, and can be taken as a seperate piece of luggage, for a charge of $150.00 US.

4. Ammo can not be in gun cases.

5. Question to Gracy Travel: Do these regulations vary by Airlines? Answer: No!!!

Recommendation is check with your travel agent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450:

What size Pelican case would you recommend? I have looked at (on the websites) a the 1300, 1400, and 1450. Seems like the 1450 at approximately 15X10X6 would do the job, but might be a little big for a suite case??? The 1400, at 12X9X5, may be too small if required to be a seperate piece of luggage??? I still need help!

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I bought the 1200 and feel it's too small although I will use it and pack it inside a duffel bag. According to the SAA web site and what I have seen from Kathi and others, it is not required that ammo cases be checked as separate bags.

If I were to do it all over again I would order the 1400. Ammo for two rifles (40-60 rounds each) will fit with lots of space for knife, survival gear, screwdrivers, etc.) I would not pack any electronic equipment or expensive gear in the checked baggage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450:

Thanks for your advice. My wife and I will be taking two rifles each and plan on 60 rounds for each rifle. Think I will order the 1450. Will let you know what the outcome is???

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
My question goes to the illustration on top...why does everyone pack knives? i took a knife and never had to use it, thats what the skinner is for right??? i could see a small pocket knife but why all the huntin' knives???

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
AKsheephunter:

I think your interesting question might be better served if you would post a thread on knives or did some search on previous threads on the subject.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah , I was just wondering because i saw your pic with your knives, it wasn't important, I was just curious. i took my knives and never used a one, just brought it up, on this forum because the pic was here. hope your not pissed off or anything. I really don't care...was just wondering.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
No offense taken, AKsheephunter. I usually put my knives and nail clippers in the ammo case so they won't cut or threaten anyone filing through my luggage.

During my last trip my ammo case carried 60 rounds of .375 H&H for me, 60 rounds of .308 Win for my son, and a knife for each of us, along with one nail clipper. I left the partially used boxes of .375 and .308 with the PH and it gave me room to bring back ostrich shell necklaces, elephant hair bracelets, Himba trinkets, and my son's collection of semi-precious gems that he picked up in the Erongo Mountains.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Namibiahunter, thanks for the great post.

I just flew SAA from JFK to Joburg. Bought the exact box you show in the picture. Only put my ammo in it and locked it with a TSA lock. At JFK no problems, just told them I had locked hard case with ammo in my checked luggage. Bag went right through.
On the way back from Joburg to JFK they made me remove the hard case with the ammo from my bag and check it in separately. Everything arrived in JFK just fine.
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went Delta from MCO to ATL to JNB. SAA from JNB to WDH. No one checked or even asked about Ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went Houston JFK Capetown and back. No one looked or checked ammo. Agent in cape town for return asked me if I had less than 5 kg, which I assured I did. I packed ammo in a lock box just in case. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been some time since I stayed at the Afton in JoBerg. Some time ago someone mentioned they have instructions posted in their office in regards to transporting ammo once you leave JoBerg outbound for another African destination. Anyone been their recently and can share what they say?
If you make a direct flight obviusly your ammo would still remain in your checked bag. However, seems the problem would arise if you overnight then check onto a flight leaving the next day??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peashooter:
It has been some time since I stayed at the Afton in JoBerg. Some time ago someone mentioned they have instructions posted in their office in regards to transporting ammo once you leave JoBerg outbound for another African destination. Anyone been their recently and can share what they say?
If you make a direct flight obviusly your ammo would still remain in your checked bag. However, seems the problem would arise if you overnight then check onto a flight leaving the next day??

I arrived on Delta, stayed overnight at Afton and then went on South African Airways to Windhoek. No one even asked if i had ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just went thru Amsterdam to JNB on KLM, and they made him take his locked metal container of ammo out of his luggage, and shipped it separately, ( and managed not loose it either).

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote