New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customs in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When entering into Namibia through their customs, or exiting the country, is one expected to lubricate the process with cash tips for the customs inspectors? In many countries that would be looked at as bribery and probably punishable. I'm clueless as to what the African expectations are. I appreciate the input of you folks who have been through this before.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strapman:
Not to worry. I have been through Zimbabwe 3 times, South African once, and Namibia three times. Namibia is the best, most efficient, and most "client friendly." You may have to wait a bit while the cops sort out the guns and ammo issues in their small little workroom, but I found the process to be the least problematic among the three countries I have hunted. Just be patient. Visit with the other hunters in line and enjoy the experience. Relax. Going outbound is even easier. Here's hoping you have a great time. Cheers........Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
In bound I was asked for a gift last time and ignored the guy. He said as I was walking away- "Next time, bring me a gift..." I believe there was a billboard outside saying don't give bribes!!

Outbound has always been pretty easy for our group...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only been once, but it was quick and easy. Just got at the back of the line, and waited my turn. The Germans ahead of us agrivated them a bit, but as soon as we said hello he realized we were from the US and his mood improved greatly. Both guys in the office started joking with us, and didn't have much endearing to say about the Germans that had been there ahead of us. On the way back just a simple check to see that the serial numbers matched the paperwork and we were on our way.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On two trips I never had a problem but did get the occasional “do you have anything for me for my fine service to you” look. You can help the process by having the Namibia firearms form pre-filled out. You get copies of it in PDF and there are PDF editors that will allow you to complete the forms and print it. I did get a comment on our last hunt in May 2009 from the officer that “your form is very nice for me to read”. You should avoid the tipping if you can; it just contributes to the problem. I did a lot of talking and telling the fine officers how much I liked their country, everyone was so friendly, etc…it was a good stalling tactic to postpone the tip question. Patience is a virtue…Leaving is a simple process.
Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strapman,

You should never assume that a bribe, tip or whatever is necessary for any officials in any of the African hunting countries.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12914 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
When entering into Namibia through their customs, or exiting the country, is one expected to lubricate the process with cash tips for the customs inspectors? In many countries that would be looked at as bribery and probably punishable. I'm clueless as to what the African expectations are. I appreciate the input of you folks who have been through this before.
Just be polite and be willing to do what they ask. None of the officials have ever asked for a bribe. Sometimes non-official people will help take your bags for you for "tip money". Paying them is your call. I have allowed them to help me at times-they don't expect a lot for tips.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just be polite and be willing to do what they ask. None of the officials have ever asked for a bribe. Sometimes non-official people will help take your bags for you for "tip money". Paying them is your call. I have allowed them to help me at times-they don't expect a lot for tips.

tu2 Worked for us. Make sure you have your firearms form filled out. When we were there the agent had to hand copy the form making several carbons so don't get in a hurry. wife got the bags I stood in line for the rifles.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been through Windhoek twice but found the airport staff to be very freindly and helpful. I did have trouble with Air Botswana but the airport staff bent over backwards to make the best of a bad situation. Will fly through there again if the chance arises.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. You were all a big help. I can't wait till I get this trip started.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Otjandaue Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Strapman, please do not tip the officials, they are paid to do there job and once you tip one it is a never ending story. Napha asked there members to report any official that bribes there clients.Trophy hunting is a big income to our country and the government knows it, they will deal with these guys.

If they ask bribery from you please report it to your PH so he can contact Napha or the Police Station commander. We do not want to encourage this behaviour, Namibia has been good in this department compared to a lot of other African countries.

Roy

Posts: 70 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
During my trip last year, I never saw even a hint that any of the people involved with customs or the gun importation process wanted a bribe.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
When entering into Namibia through their customs, or exiting the country, is one expected to lubricate the process with cash tips for the customs inspectors?

No.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I was going through Windhoek in 2008 I found the customs and Police (where you pick up your guns) officials there to be some of the politest and most professional that I've ever seen. Even better than the US officials that I've dealt with coming back.

(I've been in about 30 countries in the last 10 years)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just left Namibia yesterday, and all went smoothly. Namibia is much more organized and above board than RSA or Zim.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got home last night from Namibia. There was not even a hint for a "gift". Polite, professional, good people to work with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend I go see and hunt with in Namibia is a captain in the police dept there. He repeatedly says, "do not tip" they have a job with good pay, and they dont want to start down the bribery road.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theback40,
You have a PM

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best tip you can give them is tell them how pleased you are with their service and how great the Namibian experience has been or will be.
Just left a few days ago with Biebs just very fast and no money is required or asked for.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote