New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carjackings in townships
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
British couple on honeymoon abducted and wife killed in carjacking in township near Cape Town.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/ho...in-South-Africa.html

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A German couple were tied-up and robbed this last weekend at a guesthouse near to the Addo Elephant Park. Me, my garage was broken into last week Thursday, I am now minus two Stihl F250 brush cutters and a lawnmower. The fingerprint cop only pitched today [Monday.] The woman across from me has been hit twice in six weeks. Loverly stuff.

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You need to move up here my friend....... I don't even always remember to lock my cars at night. Wink

Mind you. We do stay on a secure estate. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
You need to move up here my friend....... I don't even always remember to lock my cars at night. Wink

Mind you. We do stay on a secure estate. rotflmo

The bushbuck up there are too few and too expensive. Ditto damn near all the other animals. Thanks for the invite but I do recall that those fever trees leak when it rains. Cool

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can't argue with any of that mate....... but despite all that, I do love my fever trees!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is unfortunate that foreigners (and some locals) seem to think that they are immune to attacks by township residents just because they may have supported the anti appartheid brigade.
These hooloigans have no feelings for anybody or any other living thing.
Stay away from townships.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I can't argue with any of that mate....... but despite all that, I do love my fever trees!

They are nice, I have one in my suburban jungle.

Back to the crime story, in today's Daily Dispatch is the story of a narrow escape for a local angler who ended up in the sea for a consierable time in order to escape the attentions of a bunch of thugs. His motor vehicle was found minus its wheels and the angler is is still alive in spite of being stabbed a few times. Always a challenge in Africa. Cool

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, as you say, always a challenge...... but all that said, I'd still rather live in Africa than outside it and if I had to leave SA, my first choice would be to move elsewhere in Africa.

If I had to leave Africa completely, I'd try to look to the States....... probably Texas or close to Texas.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Yup! I am not going anywhere except in a pine box via the big burner whenever that happens. Cool

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
so i guess a tour of the Soweta shabeens is not a good idea??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13173 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
so i guess a tour of the Soweta shabeens is not a good idea??

I reckon it is a little like Russian roulette, or facing a rabid lion with a little stick or pulling the tail hairs of an elephant bull that just happens to be in musth [ and not a cow within a hundred klms. ] You takes your chances and maybe you gets away with it or you jest shits. Big Grin Cool

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
My wife and kids did a tour of the local township (and sheeban) in central OFS. Mind you rural areas can be a lot different to urban areas.

If you drive into a SA township you are lost or really want to go there. Where I am working at the moment there is a street two blocks over I wouldn't drive down after dark. It is the same everywhere and I know it is the same in the USA. Common sense needs to prevail.

The best way to stay safe is to economically distance yourself from the rabble that exist worldwide.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the same everywhere and I know it is the same in the USA. Common sense needs to prevail.

I shouldn't respond because people with that child like "it's the same every where" view are totally immune to reason but I can guarantee you one thing: It is not the same every where..... After a lot of travel in the US and in other countries I promise you that in every country there are places that you can find trouble... But there are lots of countries where trouble will find you if you do not keep your wits about you and work like hell to avoid it and when it finds you YOU ARE OWN YOUR OWN the police if they exist are going to be no help at all. So go ahead and live in that Bull shit world where it is the same every where, but you need to stay pretty close to English speaking countries. For God's sake if you are that naive don't take the wife and kids with you very far. They deserve the protection of a rational adult that is in contact with reality.
On the other hand just for your education you should jump on the plane and land in Johannesburg. Walk out of the Airport after dark and jump in a cab and have them take you to any of the town ships , soweto was the last one I was in after dark, get out and stroll around until the sun comes up and then tell us how it is the same every where. Mean while I'll go for a stroll after dark here in a small town in Texas. We'll compare stories about how it's all the same every where later......... that is if you are still alive to talk about it.......

Good Luck

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to move to Namibia so bad but the idea of being unarmed everyday is unsettling . I pack a mod.97 Freedom Arms every day and use it every day. Feel unbalanced without it. To bad the rest of the world don't like for men to be free.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Just for a comparison between South Africa and your own country, checkout the " SUN " article.
Car jackings-14915
Murders -18148
Rape -50000
That is only for last year!!
Crime does not only occur in the townships, it occurs all over. For us living here, the worst time approaches, Christmas. Maybe the Christmas season coinciding with warmer weather, and that combined with a relaxed attitude of people equals trouble. A troubling factor is that should any international visitor suffer from the attentions of criminals, masses of police resources are thrown in to solve the matter. The marjority of South African crime victims must just catch as catch can. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not gonna live anywhere the Florida concealed weapons license isn't recognized. (That's 29 states, at last count).

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Appologise for my rant.

But it almost makes me want to cry when I hear people who live in 1st world countries who don't understand the living conditions and the violence that so much of the world lives in.
And I realize that they don't understand how precious their culture and history is to their continued relative safety is. Oh well

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:

But it almost makes me want to cry when I hear people who live in 1st world countries who don't understand the living conditions and the violence that so much of the world lives in.
And I realize that they don't understand how precious their culture and history is to their continued relative safety is. Oh well

els, no point to apologise for your rant. You have the right to say what you feel. I just think you missed my point. I won't be driving into a township in Cape Town after dark, I won't be driving down the street two blocks over. I also won't be driving through parts of LA or Chicago. Why, because I know there is trouble there. How do I know, I've been to Southern Africa five times for a total of seven months. Three months continuous living in Cape Town and backpacking and hitch hiking on the first two trips. I have also lived in the USA for 18 months. Ever been to Oakland ? I lived there for 12 months. Guess what ? I never got assaulted and I'm still alive.

I'm also not paranoid enough to see problems where they don't exist. I'm also fortunate enough to have an open mind to new experiences and the trip my family did in the centre of the OFS to the local township with our PH's wife was a revelation so my kids can start to encounter more than the sheltered world they live in.

If you are scared of new experiences and of being mugged or attacked and feel the need to carry a firearm, then all I can suggest is don't leave the house.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
quote:

els, no point to apologise for your rant. You have the right to say what you feel. I just think you missed my point. I won't be driving into a township in Cape Town after dark, I won't be driving down the street two blocks over. I also won't be driving through parts of LA or Chicago. Why, because I know there is trouble there. How do I know, I've been to Southern Africa five times for a total of seven months. Three months continuous living in Cape Town and backpacking and hitch hiking on the first two trips. I have also lived in the USA for 18 months. Ever been to Oakland ? I lived there for 12 months. Guess what ? I never got assaulted and I'm still alive. I understand all too well the disadvantages and violence that exists in this world and I use my wealth and nationality to avoid them.

I'm also not paranoid enough to see problems where they don't exist. I'm also fortunate enough to have an open mind to new experiences and the trip my family did in the centre of the OFS to the local township with our PH's wife (No males attended) was a revelation so my kids can start to encounter more than the sheltered world they live in.

If you are scared of new experiences and of being mugged or attacked and feel the need to carry a firearm, then all I can suggest is don't leave the house because you are living in a shit hole.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

els, no point to apologise for your rant. You have the right to say what you feel. I just think you missed my point. I won't be driving into a township in Cape Town after dark, I won't be driving down the street two blocks over. I also won't be driving through parts of LA or Chicago. Why, because I know there is trouble there. How do I know, I've been to Southern Africa five times for a total of seven months. Three months continuous living in Cape Town and backpacking and hitch hiking on the first two trips. I have also lived in the USA for 18 months. Ever been to Oakland ? I lived there for 12 months. Guess what ? I never got assaulted and I'm still alive. I understand all too well the disadvantages and violence that exists in this world and I use my wealth and nationality to avoid them.

I'm also not paranoid enough to see problems where they don't exist. I'm also fortunate enough to have an open mind to new experiences and the trip my family did in the centre of the OFS to the local township with our PH's wife (No males attended) was a revelation so my kids can start to encounter more than the sheltered world they live in.

If you are scared of new experiences and of being mugged or attacked and feel the need to carry a firearm, then all I can suggest is don't leave the house because you are living in a shit hole and I suggest you move.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A sad fact is that on the same night that the British tourist was murdered, in the same township, a number of other poor souls met violent ends. The same has happened every night since and repeated in a number of different localities throughout South Africa. As they are not international visitors, they will be buried and the sun will rise tomorrow. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really isn't the same every where.
http://online.wsj.com/article/...l?mod=googlenews_wsj

My wish is that as people with a culture based on Christian principals and English law that we don't lose sight of the incredible blessings that we have due to our culture. The benefits are just to many to list. For a Fact neither the US or Australia are perfect, far from it but there is a huge and I mean huge difference between those countries and a lot of area's . I guess that my angst associated with hearing people say it's the same everywhere has a lot to do with have seen the results of a lot of violence over the years.

Any way that's enough of that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
els,
Just want to voice my support and agreement with your positon. At age 67, I've been to soutern Africa 10 times, Asia, Australia, etc. All cultures ain't equal.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
An interesting turn around, according to the news, it looks like hubby put out a hit contract on the poor woman. bewildered Eeker