New
Find
Notify
Tools

KLM and 2 guns to Amsterdam
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just booked a plains game hunt to South Africa. Travelling KLM through Amsterdam. After looking through their policies in carrying firearms I believe their policy is one firearm per case and one firearm per person. Hopefully I am wrong.
Does anyone have experience with KLM airlines?

Posts: 66 | Location: Canada | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This should give you all the info you need.

Be especially aware that the EU have an ammunition embargo on all flights out of and into the EU. In theory, there is an agreement to let sporting ammo travel BUT so far the only written evidence on that is from shooting organisations such as BASC and nothing has appeared from the EU....... I'd strongly recommend you get your travel agent to have the airline confirm in writing that sporting firearms AND sporting ammo will be allowed to travel and that you take that written confirmation with you when you travel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a travel agent who is known in the safari community. they know what you need to do and will advise you and they should contact airlines for you and supply you with all the details form etc. you will need

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
Three month ago I had trip Moscow Amsterdam Arusha and retuned by KLM with two rifles into one box without any problems.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went through there in December and didn't get the guns until a week after we got home. If there are any flight delays you are in trouble as far as KLM is concerned. Once we were in Tanz we tried to find out where the rifles were to no avail until a letter showed up at our home address stating the guns were confiscated by Customs in Amsterdam. KLM did nothing to ensure that the rifles were placed on the correct planes after flights had been delayed and canceled because of weather. I would suggest making a stop in the customs office between flights if you have the time or pray there are no weather delays. I have made two other trips through Amsterdam and had problems due to flight delays the first time and no problems the second. I truly believe that a stop in customs by yourself would be the most beneficial. They are very courteous and most helpful once you get their attention but it seems a system frought with problems unless everything goes exactly as planned. If your flight is delayed by a day or more they will confiscate you firearms because the travel documents don't match anymore. Maybe your travel agent can fix this and maybe not, as I have no experience with a travel agent on these trips I have no room to say.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another thought guys. When we got out of Amsterdam on the way home we had spent all our time between flights straightening out everything in customs to get the rifles on the plane we were leaving on. Due to weather our plane was the next to last to leave that day and the rifles did not make the flight. A week after getting home the guns came UPS and upon opening the case we found that the original lock had been cut off and replaced with a spare lock that was in the rifle case. They had thrown the sawed-off lock back in the case on top of a very expensive custom rifle. You can imagine what it looked like. The rifle case was opened in Amsterdam and everything was fine then, so when did the lock get cut off? In Amsterdam, cause the guns didn't get out on our flight, or in Dallas. I'm sure we'll never know but it sure makes you think before making this trip again.
This was a three rifle case with the middle being left for storage.Why in the world would someone throw a lock on top of a rifle when putting it in the center space would have harmed nothing, or better yet why put the damned lock back in the box in the first place. You sure as heck can't reuse it.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried two rifles in my case through Amsterdam with no problems. In fact, both customs and TSA guys in Detroit were so interested in talking to me about my rifles and the trip they insisted on carrying them for me to their screening station. I guess I was lucky on that trip. Never had to show anything to anyone save the customs guy in Tanz. who cared less.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I went to Tanz last Sept/Oct via Amsterdam & had no problems with 2 rifles in 1 case.
You need to get your "Dutch Firearm Transit Permit" before you travel.
I kept 2-3 copies with me & taped 1 in an envelope to the outside of my gun
case (which our outfitter recommended). They indeed opened the envelope & looked
at the paperwork coming back, not sure if this was entirely necessary, but I don't
like to worry. Have a great safari!

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we did klm once a few years back. when we got to joberg we found the barrel on one rifle sticking out of the end of the alumunum guncase, and the scope on the other hit so hard it bent the tube. how they could do this by accident is still a big question. then on the trip back they flocked up the seat assignments of everyone so bad that i don't think anybody got their right seat

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Went KLM via Amsterdam to Uganda a few months ago...2 rifles in one case...no problem...in fact...they were very helpful

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36791 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Travel agent just notified me that 2 guns in one case will be accepted by KLM. Made them forward it to me in writing. Looks like flying with KLM is a 50/50 deal. Some good/some bad.

Posts: 66 | Location: Canada | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to give you another negative, but Air France and KLM used to have the worst record in Europe for lost luggage. Air France then took over KLM, so you can imagine that things have not got any better.Be careful if you have a lay over and ask at the bording gate for them to confirm that your rifles have been loaded. They will have the loading manifest and will be able to confirm one way or the other. A friend of mine refused to board the plane at that stage because they had not loaded his rifle. Rather than delay the plane while his bag was unloaded they miraculously suddenly found his rifle.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
went last year with three guns in one case.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the KLM stewardesses over Delta's anytime. Friendly, attractive and what ever perfume she wore was really intoxicating, or maybe the wine, I forget.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
I'll take the KLM stewardesses over Delta's anytime. Friendly, attractive and what ever perfume she wore was really intoxicating, or maybe the wine, I forget.Dutch

Funny how old timers disease does that to you huh? rotflmo